Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Length Question

Old 07-31-2004, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow Length Question

Ok, Just got my bow set up today, with a whisker biscuit and I noticed that the buscuit is set farther back than any rest I have previously used... I used to shoot fingers and use a 31 inch arrow on that gnereic plastic rest... I realized today that using the biscuit would allow me to shoot a 28" arrow I believe... This would undoubtably be lighter than a 30 or 31 inch arrow which would be good right? Dumb question I know, but last year I hunted with fingers and an old wheeled bow with long heavy arrows... Now I have a new bow, a release and am trying to modernize a bit...
Old 07-31-2004, 11:19 PM

Default RE: Arrow Length Question

The shorter arrow will give you more speed, but, it will also increase your spine. So, it may not affect much, but that many inches will definatly do somethin. You may end up having to get some different arrows that will suit that shorter length better.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

i plan to buy a dzen new arrows, so that wont be a problem, just curious... thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 11:09 AM

Technically, you are going to be using an "overdraw." Don't be surprised if your tuning becomes more difficult and your shooting becomes more sensitive to torque and not-so-clean releases.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Well I dont want to go to short, I drew back my bow and had my brother mark on the arrow where it hit the rest, and if I give it another inch I am at about 29 and 3/4.... that isnt too short where it will get tough to tune is it? or else I could just go 30 and solve that... but yes I see why it is technically an overdraw...
Old 08-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

To clarify my last post...

I drew my bow and my brother mark a line on the arrow right on the outside of the whisker biscuit...

From the nock to the line is 28.5"

If I give it 1 more inch I am at 29.5"

Should I do that or just go all the way to 30"?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:12 PM

H80Hunter:

My emphasis was on "…don't be surprised IF….." I qualified my forewarning because you may not have any significant problems using a rest that is situated as to create an overdraw affect, and using shorter arrows.

I once used an "overdraw" (several months) that was positioned not too much further behind the riser than (probably) the WB is located. I was shooting 29" shafts, reduced from my normal 31-5/" inch shaft. I found the setup to be ultra-sensitive to hand-torque and nock-height tuning. My form and release had to be almost flawless. Under hunting conditions, the concern of the sensitivity of the setup constantly weighed on my mind. I found the constant concern to be a major mental distraction.

Knowing I was dumping the "overdraw," I never got deep into trying to find out why the setup was so sensitive. I simply blew it off as having something to do with the fact that the shaft resting too forward caused some type of misbalance with the arrow, and less string travel (brace) did not allow the shaft to start to stabilize before clearing the rest. Whatever the causes, I did not like an "overdraw." I have talked with other former "overdraw" users, and most did not like an "overdraw," either.

Here is a sample article that might better explain what may have caused some of MY problems with an "overdraw."

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:I...s+torque&hl=en
Old 08-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your help, and that link.

What length would you go with? is 30" probably ok? Or eould you go up to 30.5"?

Its a Hunting setup with 99% of shooting in the 20-30 yard range
Old 08-01-2004, 08:55 PM

H80Hunter:

What length would you go with? is 30" probably ok? Or eould you go up to 30.5"?
Your question would be answered best by a shooter that is using a WB with bow specs the same as yours or near the same as yours.

Restricting my comment to preferred arrow length only; I cut my shafts to a length that keeps the particular broadhead I have mounted at least ½" away from contact with my riser. Doing so keeps the broadhead away from my hand and allows different diameter broadheads to be used on the same shaft length.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. Maybe someone with a whisker biscuit will chime in...

I drew it back with a broadhead on there and there was no problem with clearance, so it should be ok... I will wait til someone chimes in though.

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Arrow Length Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.