Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Well.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:59 AM

Default Well.

At 20 to 25 yards I can't complain,

I just bought a 3D deer archery target,And at 20 to 25 yards I'm hitting almost dead on in the area marked as the kill zone,And since I still shake a bit and since this is my first time really trying to hunt with a bow,I have no complaints,

Under 20 yards is just about the same,Now over 25 yards,Well I still need lots of work,I mean where I'm hitting would kill,But it might be a bit of a slower death than what I'd like it to be,I'm hitting in the lower gut just a past the stomach,Which isn't really that good.

Oh yeah,And I did but one arrow trough the neck at the exact spot where the head goes onto the body,I mean right in the groove,And one about one and a half to two inches below the left ear,I guess either of those would count as a Kill wouldn't they?

And the worst shot I've made,Drum roll please,........Well let's just say it might not have been a kill shoot,But it would have greatly reduced the deer population,And that Buck would have wished he was dead,Cause it was a perfect castration shot.Snip clip and off they go.....[X(]
Old 07-31-2004, 01:02 PM

Default RE: Well.

dont want to discourage you but,unless you were aiming for neck and groin shots,iwould practice on shooting at least a 2" group at 20 yards thet way you can feel more confident.

dont try to just get lucky and hope to make a good shot,if you feel that way dont shoot. remember your going to have to estimate yardage as well.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Well.

At 20-25 yards, you should be keeping most of your shots inside the large circle within that kill ring. You need to begin aiming at a specific spit inside that circle instead of aiming at the entire target. Get some of those orange sticky dots. Use one of those for an aim point and put it dead center inside that circle.

Always remember two extremely important things,"PICK A SPOT" and "Aim Small, Miss Small."
Old 07-31-2004, 02:00 PM

Default RE: Well.Well.

Most of my shots were inside the second ring in the kill zone,I was hitting just about where I am aiming,But like I said before,after a few shots my arms get tired,That's the down side of having arthritis from the time I was 3 years old,

But anyway,I was tired when I made the bad shots,And I don't believe in just taking a shot and getting lucky,I don't shoot until I feel I'm on the mark,Of course sometimes the eyes play cruel tricks on us.lol.like the one below.

I was just trying one more set of shots,

And I was thinking it couldn't get any worse then the earlier ones,Well I may have been wrong,I made a shot I couldn't make again if I tried,Not even with a rifle and a scope or even a laser sight,

Arrow enters about one inch from left ear,between ear and eye,

Arrow exits through right ear.I used a photo to show the entry and exit,lol.hhhmmm?Rubs chin,Yep I think I need more practice..

Old 07-31-2004, 02:47 PM

Are you aiming for the head when you hit the head? If not, you need lots more practice.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

But anyway,I was tired when I made the bad shots...
So! You already know the problem. Quit shooting BEFORE you get tired out. Shooting when you're tired does nothing but cause you to form bad habits and reinforce the bad habits you've already got. Not to mention the likelihood of injuring already inflamed joints.

Physical limitations suck! But those of us that have 'em need to work within what abilities we DO have. I've had to cut way back on the amount of shooting I do because of arthritis. I hate it, but there it is.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remember a target is one thing.....a live deer is another! If your new to archery.....(first season) practice, practice and then some more! Before season, find out your limits and stick with it the whole season! Right now it sounds like you should have a 20 hunting limit. I've hunted for over 25 years, and my limit (sometimes its hard) is 30 yards even though I practice 40 and 50. Hunting is quite a differant story then shooting 3D targets, but its the best practice. Practice, practice and then practice somemore and you'll have a great first season!

Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2004, 06:35 PM

I know,But I wanted to get the 3D target because it's a more true to life area,You know,I mean we wear shooting this block like foam thing that was like 4 feet by 4 feet,And I just wasn't concentrating enough,And so I was doing really badly,And now I'm hitting every time,And I'm in the kill zone most of them,UNLESS I'm getting tired,Then I start going wide,So that's why I wanted the 3D target

Oh and because it is more like the real thing in looks to,So I would be getting use to where I should be aiming before season,

And I now hunting will be much harder,One way is,I know I will have to wait until the deer turns it's head before I can pull the bow back to take a shot,Some Times when using a rifle you can get the rifle up and put the cross hairs on the heart and shot before it even notices you,But with a bow,Not likely,At least not for a first timer like me.lol..
Old 07-31-2004, 08:45 PM

PRACTICE...PRACTICE...PRACTICE

It's the name of the game. As stated before, don't wear yourself out. Take like 3 to 5 shots and take a 10 or 15 minute break. Keep repeating this process. When your in the woods, your only going to get one shot. It's not like shooting shot after shot. Anyway, Good Luck and best wishes.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:28 AM

Oh yeah,And I did but one arrow trough the neck at the exact spot where the head goes onto the body,I mean right in the groove,And one about one and a half to two inches below the left ear,I guess either of those would count as a Kill wouldn't they?
Oh boy, may god help us all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.