Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

flinching

Old 08-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: flinching

People flinch because they are anticipating the shot. Period.

Load a revolver with an empty chamber, spin the cylinder so nobody knows where the empty is, and hand the gun to the shooter who doesn't believe he's flinching on the shot. When he clicks on that empty chamber and he looks like the recoil has kicked his butt anyway...

Same principle. Set that trigger as hard as it will go and watch someone that's been shooting a hair trigger for awhile. The release doesn't go off when his finger tells him it's applied enough force to trigger the release. The release doesn't happen when he expects it, but that bow hand is grabbing the handle and his whole is body is jerking while he's wondering what the heck happened. It's confusing as hell the first time you find out how bad you've been flinching. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

And setting my release to a hair trigger is how I got the disease!

It's a lot easier anticpating the shot with a hair trigger so, in my view, most people that flinch have been shooting with their triggers set too light.

Enough of this... We'll simply have to agree that I'm right and you're wrong and then get on with our lives.

AK, one other thing you might do to cure this problem. Get an Answer release from Golden Key Futura. It's supposed to help cure people of punching their release, but I don't see why it can't help with your problem as well. They're both symptoms of the same basic problem.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a lot easier anticpating the shot with a hair trigger so, in my view, most people that flinch have been shooting with their triggers set too light.
most of the time when using back tension to the trigger instead of squeezing off the shot you will get a suprise release much more so than a hard trigger.

Enough of this... We'll simply have to agree that I'm right and you're wrong and then get on with our lives.
HA.. I wil agree that your method of doing things is totally ass backwards from how I do things

Old Fartes usually always think they know it all

OK now I can move on
Old 08-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back to the original question

some things to try A bit rehashed

Blank bales . If you dont know what it is do a search
shoot close distance 5-10 yards
use a big aiming spot 4-8 inches
pull back , aim , and letdown . Dont fire the shot . Repeat
Old 08-02-2004, 03:44 PM

Is it possible that those that defend the "hair trigger" method do not mean "hair trigger" as is commonly defined and used? Rather, a light trigger-pull?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:41 PM

A hair trigger release was the cause of my flintching. It was set light and with no travel.

I went to a true BT release (Carter Atension spike) and was shooting it better than the trigger release in less than a day and never once punched myself in the mouth. It's really not as hard a lot of people make it out to be!

Any release can be punched, even the BT.

The best way to avoid flinching and other forms of target panic is to learn a surprise release. This can be done with most types of release, but is easiest with the true BT type.

Don't be afraid of the back tension releases. They work.

If you are serious about this, Bernie's book is a good place to start but a good coach is even better.

Good Luck,
Allen