Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do they help?

Old 07-30-2004, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Do they help?

Just wondering if the longer bar on many of the newer sights (i.e. Spot Hogg Fiber Optic) help very much? And with putting your sight that much farther out in front of your riser, if it causes any problems??
Old 07-30-2004, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do they help?

The longer bar opens up your pin gaps a bit. Good if your pins are too close together / bad otherwise.

For me, sights on a long bar wave around too much on target. They're a little more accurate if you can hold steady enough to use the blasted things. I can't.[&o]
Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur, don't tell me you're using sights!!![:'(][:'(][:'(] Shame, Shame Shame!!!

I think that a sight that is closer to the riser might be protected a bit more in hunting conditions. Nothing more to add then what's on Arthur's post.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I am, Bob, believe it or not. I got some bifocal contacts. Had to try 'em out, so I mounted my sights on my ProTec. I can SEE! [8D] Still shootin' fingers tho...

I'll shoot sights for awhile to try and break some bad habits I've accumulated. But I'll eventually get bored with the things again, take 'em off and go back to barebow. I like to completely change shooting styles every so often, just to keep my interest level up. One summer, I won tournaments in longbow, recurve, compound unaided, compound aided, compound release and open/freestyle/unlimited classes. Not being able to use sights cut my choices way down. So, honestly, I'm plumb tickled to have the ability to see sight pins again.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Thank You very much! I felt that the longer bar would get my sight in harms way an awful lot!

Appreciate your comments!!!