Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

50 yards!

Old 07-31-2004, 12:40 PM

Default RE: 50 yards!

try to concentrate on the shot for at least 6 seconds, always pick a spot even at short distances. maybe try a helical fletching if your not already.different spine,perhaps?
Old 07-31-2004, 06:46 PM
PLB

Default RE: 50 yards!

With you being near sighted, you might just be staring at the target and not the pin. With the far targets, you can't see them clearly anyhow so you are probalby concentrating on the pin as you should be.

Just a thought.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:08 PM

Default RE: 50 yards!Could be.

I thought it might have something to do with my sight,

I can see the main outline of the kill zone on the target.But I can't see the inside areas,So I just try to put the pin in the center of the kill zone between the outlines,So I guess I am concentrating more on the smaller target.

So you may very well be right on this one,Even though I still need lots of work,Practice practice practice,I love the bow,It just feel more natural to me than a rifle,I don't know why,Well then again,I have always been drawn to the ancient weapons more than modern ones,I mean one of my favorite things to collect and train with are swords,And I guess maybe a bow is in a lot of ways still one of those weapons,Just updated for a more powerful modern style.Could be why it feels so natural to me...
Old 08-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I wouldn't shoot that far on game. One step by an animal between the point of no return on the release by the time the arrow got there would be the difference between a kill and a wound.

Wounding may depend on speed:

Really??? Lets take a look at that,

An animal traveling at 2mph (slow), can travel 3 feet in 1 second. An arrow travels 50 yards at a speed 300 fps (constant, no loss of speed), can get there in 1/2 second. So, if an animal decides to take a step between the time you release and the time the arrow gets there, it could be 1 1/2 feet off.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:03 AM

quote:

I wouldn't shoot that far on game. One step by an animal between the point of no return on the release by the time the arrow got there would be the difference between a kill and a wound.

Wounding may depend on speed:

Really??? Lets take a look at that,

An animal traveling at 2mph (slow), can travel 3 feet in 1 second. An arrow travels 50 yards at a speed 300 fps (constant, no loss of speed), can get there in 1/2 second. So, if an animal decides to take a step between the time you release and the time the arrow gets there, it could be 1 1/2 feet off.
All will be time & what the kill may may be doing: but jumping the string also requires time for the noise to get to the kill and then the muscle flex. And one should always lead a moving animal.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

All will be time & what the kill may may be doing: but jumping the string also requires time for the noise to get to the kill and then the muscle flex.
I guess we are talking two different things. I wasn't really reffering to string jumping. But rather unexpected things that happen beyond the hunters control which can be magnified at longer ranges.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:25 PM

I will say this much,

I have seen my father shoot at a deer with his crossbow,340 per second,And I saw the deer jump the arrow,I have also seen one duck an arrow,

And Last season I saw one duck a round from a 45,So I know that they can do this,

My point was,I don't release my arrow until I'm on target.I just won't do it,Now I may shift,Or my sights maybe a bit off,That I don't know,But I don't take an ify shot,Just not my thing.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:58 PM

All will be time & what the kill may may be doing: but jumping the string also requires time for the noise to get to the kill and then the muscle flex.
I guess we are talking two different things. I wasn't really reffering to string jumping. But rather unexpected things that happen beyond the hunters control which can be magnified at longer ranges.
Most concur a standing shot and the more near the game the better: but in some open area (deserts & etc.) one may need to shoot @ 40+ yds or forget the sport in total. That may be why some, such a Holt, may have suggested a time as well as a distance aspect.