Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ANYTHING BETTER THEN WAX ON STRINGS?

Old 02-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default ANYTHING BETTER THEN WAX ON STRINGS?

I seem to have bad luck with keeping wax on my winners choice strings, Is there any sprays or anything else to use to keep my strings from going fraied? I thought about teflon gun spray, but am a little scared.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-25-2002, 09:53 PM

Default RE: ANYTHING BETTER THEN WAX ON STRINGS?

What do you mean by having bad luck keeping the wax on the string? How often do you wax?

If the string is fraying, then either you are not waxing often enough or the string is hitting something like your shirt sleeve or arm guard. I wax after just about every time I shoot, but I still noticed a bit of fuzzing below the center serving. What was happening was that the string was very lightly slapping my arm guard. I couldn't feel it happening but the string sure showed wear from it. Maybe something like this is happening to you?

Also, when you wax, try burnishing the wax into the string by rubbing it so hard that it heats up and melts a bit. Some people will use a bit of smooth leather to do this to keep from hurting their finger tips.

If the string has any strands that are worn through by fraying, then I would replace it to be safe.

The Mouse
Old 02-26-2002, 05:30 AM

You are using the wrong type of wax. Beeswax and similar stuff such as Tex Tite is no good anymore. We now use Slick-T-T teflon lubricant wax. It is made by Phillips Industries in Michigan somewhere. It stays on for a VERY long time. I will post more info if I can find a phone number or something. Basically, this stuff is teflon. It rubs into the bowstring and you can tell it stays. Just like the old regular wax in looks and feel.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got to suggest burnishing the wax into the string too. Get yourself a small piece of suede leather (about 2" square is plenty) and use it to vigorously rub the wax into the string. Rubbing the string with the leather will heat the wax and let it flow into the string.

You could try the silicone/graphite impregnated waxes, but I haven't found them to be any better than regular ol' Tex-Tite.

Edited by - Arthur P on 02/26/2002 06:50:27
Old 02-26-2002, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know BCY and I think Winner's choice recommend you use BCY ML-6 string wax on their strings. I've been using it for a couple years on my W/C strings and as long as I keep them waxed they don't fray or fuzz up. Give it a try...
Old 02-26-2002, 02:23 PM

Has anyone tried krytech wax luricant for bicycle chains? I was just wondering how it would work, since it's a liquid that turns into a wax once it sets up. Anyway you got me interested and I just put some on my string.
Polack
Old 02-26-2002, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Bowtech Shooter, I am going to ask a stupid question .. but, what is "BCY". Thanks, and pardon my ignorance.

Winger
Old 02-26-2002, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

BCY is a company that makes string fiber material. They make 8125, 450, 450 plus, 452 and so on. You can get on their web site at www.bcyfibers.com.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for indulging my lack of knowledge

Quick Reply: ANYTHING BETTER THEN WAX ON STRINGS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.