Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Finger this out

Old 07-27-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Finger this out

I'm shooting an '02 Patriot at 70# and 28" draw with a Dalton fall-away rest and 2413's with Flex Fletch 4.18's with a Right Helical arrows at just shy of 27".
I tuned through paper for the bullet hole, then followed the Easton Tuning Guide for broadheads. I'm shooting 100 Gr. Muzzy four blades.
I bought a G5 Arrow Squaring Device and squared all of my broadhead arrows. After which I have spun each one on an arrow inspector.
At 20 yds., most of my arrows are hitting 2-3" right of the spot, which is approx. 2X2". At 40, 50, and 60 yds. the arrow seems to stabilize, and they hit on the money.
Does this seem like I may be a tad over-spined?
Will switching to a Broad Head like an Ultimate Steel, Sonic, Cabelas F3, or some such short type improve my performance?
Should I stop whining about 2" at 20 yds.?
I tend to be a perfectionist and this is really pi$$ing me off. I think I have bought some broad heads that have bent ferrules, according to the arrow spinner.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:45 PM

Default RE: Finger this out

You got me!!! Maybe when you need to refletch one of your arrows, try 5 inch vanes to see if it is a recovery issue.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Should I stop whining about 2" at 20 yds.?
2" @ 20yds would have me kicking the dog!

How are your arrows impacting the target at 20yds? It sounds like it's taking too long for your fletchings to stabilize the arrow. Just guessing by what info you've given I'd say you may have a spine issue. Do you notice any fish tailing when you shoot?

Do you have any other arrows you can play around with , like maybe 2314's or 2215's?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say using a hard cam those arrows are under spined.
use some 75-95 Laser pros.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say using a hard cam those arrows are under spined.
use some 75-95 Laser pros.
Or different aluminums! Most proshops will have a variety of different shafts at different lengths for you to try out. I've never had a spine issue that couldn't be fixed without dropping alot of extra cash on carbons.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Before you go hogwild buying new arrows and such, try fletching a couple of your current arrows with 5" feathers. With all due respect to wwag, I disagree with trying 5" vanes. The blasted things are just way too much weight on the tail end of an arrow w/100 gn heads. 5" feathers are a good deal lighter than the 4" vanes you're using - which means they'll shift your FOC forward and provide much better steerage.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:20 AM

i agree with arthur on this one...he knows what he is talking about...i just recently went to 5" feathers from 5" vanes, and, wow, there is a HUGE difference when stabilizing the arrow, not to mention the increase in foc. imo its a really cheap first check...
Old 07-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

or... you need glasses because you are going far sighted ?
Old 07-28-2004, 04:30 PM

Thanks all, I still can't decide if it's arrow spine or the arrows just aren't recovering fast enough.
5" vanes would be ok to try, but feathers are out of the question here in the Great Northwest, just too much rain.

I was thinking that with such a short arrow, the 2413's would be borderline too stiff, and hitting to the Right seems to indicate that as well.
But with the arrows on the money at the longer yardages it could be recovery.

With $100 in tags and needing food and gas money, there's no way I'll be able to convince my bride to drop more money on carbons.

And easy on the dog BOWFANATIC, around my house they get more attention than me.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

...feathers are out of the question here in the Great Northwest, just too much rain.
I hope you've at least TRIED feathers and abandoned them based on your own experiences, instead of being scared off by people that wildly exaggerate the problem of feathers in wet weather.

Quick Reply: Finger this out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.