Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Speed Question

Old 02-25-2002, 02:20 PM

Default Speed Question

With the technology of today's bows, is it necessary to buy a bow that tops out at 70lbs, or could I just get a 60lb bow to hunt with? Most of my shooting will be 3-D, for practice, then I will be hunting with it. I'm just wondering if a 60lb bow will produce enough power to kill several different types of game, (ie pig, deer,elk). Thanks for you input.
Bryan
Old 02-25-2002, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Speed Question

40# is enough to drop a moose, its all about placement. The speed and accuracy in most of the newer bows should allow for pinpoint accuracy, for good shot placement. Thats all you have to worry about, keep the bow tuned and practice hard. 60# will be fine. Good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 02-25-2002, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

calihunter,

Yes, a 60 lb bow is plenty for most North American big game animals provided you use sharp broadheads and your shot placement is good.

I hesitate though because draw weight is not the only factor to consider when asking about a bow's "effectiveness" level. One would also have to consider the draw length, arrow weight, type of broadhead, etc... before actually making a determination on any given setup's effectiveness.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:50 AM

Here's what Easton has to say about KE and hunting:

Easton’s recommendations for KE on specific size animals are listed in the chart below. It’s very interesting to note that throughout history many large animals have been cleanly harvested with less KE than advised in the chart. This is not to say, however, that you should purposefully ‘under-power’ yourself.

KE Hunting Usage
25 ft. lbs. Small Game
25-41 ft. lbs. Medium Game (deer, antelope, etc.)
42-65 ft. lbs. Large Game (elk, black bear, wild boar, etc.)
65 ft. lbs. Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc.)

Hope this helps clear up your questions on draw weight. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown