Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pros & Cons of Diamond vanes & FF vanes

Old 02-25-2002, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pros & Cons of Diamond vanes & FF vanes

What are the pros and cons of Diamond vanes and what are some for the Flex Fletch vanes? Suggestions.......
Old 02-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pros & Cons of Diamond vanes & FF vanes

Personally, I have used Easton Diamond Vanes until they did away with their 4.75" vane. Since then I have went to Arizona and I believe that they are identical to Eason, without the hefty price. I have not tried the Flex Flethch, but a lot of people swear by them. I have always been happy with the previously mentioned vanes though.

P.S. This is only for my compound bow.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

I swear by the Flex Fletch. Awesome vanes- toughest ones I've seen. On older bag targets or loose indoor bales where I've buried the arrow up past the fletching, the FF's have tremendous durability. Give 'em a few minutes and the come right back to normal- even on pass throughs. Lots of colors and sizes to choose from as well.

The only con I can think of (besides that they cost a bit more than others) is that you need to prep the vane before gluing. This requires thoroughly wiping the base of the vane with acetone or paint thinner to get the residue off from the plastic molds.

Thumbs up!!

Edited by - Black Frog on 02/25/2002 13:02:00
Old 02-25-2002, 12:05 PM

I switched from Arizona vanes to Flex Fletch, and I like the FF a lot better. Only trouble is I can't get them to stick as well on my carbons, even with the vane prep that FF mentioned. I've tried all the tricks: acetoning the bases till I'm blue in the face, lighly sanding them, trying different glues. I can get them to stick ok, but on a pass-thru on a 3-d target or on a bale, at least one will usually come off. I'll probably go back to the AAE just for this reason, even though they aren't as durable.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

HotLZ-

Have you tried their Flex Bond glue? I have NEVER had one come off my carbons, and in fact- it is really a PAIN to get them off when I want to refletch!

The Flex-Bond takes a bit longer to set up, but it really holds well.

Are you prepping your shafts as well? Bohning makes Prep Rite II that works great and one bottle last a looooong time.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The AAE Plastifletch Elite vanes have worked well for me for a good number of years and have taken everything from 100+ degree days to -50 below windchills and have never let me down.I trust 'em
Old 02-25-2002, 01:21 PM

Flex Fletch is a great vane, very tough. I used them for years and really liked them a lot. the only reason I use the AAE/Easton ones now is they are easy to find & if you buy the AAE ones they are cheap, hold up well, and for the most part good quality.

I will say I think the Flex Fletch is a better vane if you have no fletching contact with your rest.