Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

One eye or two?

Old 07-22-2004, 10:00 PM

Default One eye or two?

I am trying both ways and feel that I am much more accurate shooting with one eye BUT I believe it is probably better to keep both eyes open. I am shooting with a peep and an Extreme Snyper sight.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: One eye or two?

I've always subscribed to the theory that we have 2 eyes for a reason......I think anytime you take one eye completely out of the equation you are going to promote balance and depth perception problems. Probably just fine for shooting a scoped firearm where you can only use one eye anyway and your visual picture is dominated by the scope, but when shooting a bow you are taking in the environment as you see it and depth perception and balance are more critical.........especially 20 feet up a tree.
[:-]
Personally my accuracy is much better when shooting with both eyes wide open
Old 07-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as your shooting with your dominant eye, two is the way to go! In low light conditions in the woods, it really helps you see whats going on. If your not shooting with your dominant eye, you better shoot one!

Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm interested in shooting with both eyes open but my peep gets blury when I open my left eye? I also have heard of people saying there left eye tries to take dominance when both are open. Any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Rifle...one eye....Shotgun Both eyes...Archery...this is a heated debate...some of the best shooters in the world shoot with both eyes open..This is my preference...but alot shoot with one eye also....its really your choice
Old 07-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do most of my shooting 2-eyed, but sometimes - and only when target shooting - I close the off eye when I really want to bear down and put that arrow dead center X. Like when I'm having a nock bustin' war with some of my shootin' buddies.

Oh... I don't guess many people do that any more. Hard to do with carbon arrows without busting out the back end of the shaft or robin hooding the blasted things. One more point for aluminums with nock tapers.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:43 PM

you need to determine what is comfortable to you. I myself am left handed and left eye dominant I can shoot with both eyes open but it is more comfortable for me to shoot with just one eye open.

pick what is comfortable and practice,practice,practice.

hope this helps
Old 07-24-2004, 12:51 AM

I agree...when your in the woods, you have to do what's most comfortable. I shut one eye until my focus through my peep is clear. Once it becomes clear (a second or two), I will open both eyes. This allows my right eye (dominant) to remain focused on my target.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:39 AM

I've always subscribed to the theory that we have 2 eyes for a reason......I think anytime you take one eye completely out of the equation you are going to promote balance and depth perception problems. Probably just fine for shooting a scoped firearm where you can only use one eye anyway and your visual picture is dominated by the scope, but when shooting a bow you are taking in the environment as you see it and depth perception and balance are more critical.........especially 20 feet up a tree.

Personally my accuracy is much better when shooting with both eyes wide open

I agree with Matt/PA
Al
Old 07-24-2004, 07:17 AM

i'm left eye dominant, right handed, and i (for the last 3 weeks) shoot with both eyes open. took a minute, but well worth it. field of vision increased by at least 3x because with your head turned you don't see that much with your right eye. not sure if not using a peep helps make it possible for me to shoot with both open while i'm opposite dominant, i never tried it with a peep.