Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Winn releases- SS versus regular

Old 07-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winn releases- SS versus regular

Ignoring the crappy trigger issues , which one gives the smoothest feeling string release?
Old 07-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winn releases- SS versus regular

I shoot the Winn Free Flight Glove C10 and have shot it for years, I have shot it off the string and find it works very well with a string loop.... it just takes sometime to learn how to load and lock the release head on the loop its a bit of a pain in the beginning to master.The curved and polished latch on the release head that holds the string seems to allow the string a smoothly slide off the latch and out of the release head.
I tried the Winn SS Caliper and sent it back.... I found it to feel not as smooth a release to me as the C10, but this may also be attributed to the fact that I am used to the C10 having been shooting it for many years.
As for the trigger I found that it can be easily shot as a back tension if you get the trigger in the 2nd joint( joint closest to the knuckle),of the index finger and this has worked for me to solve the trigger punching.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lady, thanks for the input.

Could you please expand on the loading process you go through with the C-10 when you shoot it directly off the bowstring?

Do you feel the C-10 let's you draw more length than a traditional wrist strap caliper? How much more?
Old 07-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

When shooting off the string the loading process is a breeze, I will nock the arrow, I pull the trigger which opens the release head, place the head on the string remove the finger from the trigger and apply preasure pushing forward towards the bow and the head locks on the string.
Now to shoot it off a string loop, I will nock an arrow pull the trigger to open the release head put the loop in the release head and remove the finger from the trigger, push forward on the release till the release head starts to push forward towards the bow and the head is pushing on the back of the nock and the release head will lock on the loop, you have to make sure you have a large enough loop to accomidate the larger release head of the C10, then make sure you havent pushed the nock out of place on the string before shooting the arrow.

With the glove in tight to the hand I dont feel that the C10 makes you feel like you have a longer draw, I feel like it makes me feel like I am actually holding closer to the string not longer like some wrist strap releases have made me feel. I also shoot a T.R.U Ball Chappy Boss , with some of the hand held releases it also gives me the feeling of shooting closer to the string. Now how this affects the power stroke is something that I want to do some research into since I dont have the knowledge or answer to, and I welcome any imput on how this affects the power stroke from anyone whom knows. I have problems using wrist strap releases since my release arm wrist surgery.'
I do agree 100% with Winn's claim that their glove releases make you feel like you are pulling back less poundage than you really are, I can shoot 60lbs with the Winn release but not with the other releases or fingers that I have tried so far.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems logical that if your release hand is closer to the string, one would have to lengthen their bows draw length to keep their current anchor when coming from a longer trigger to jaw release such as my mongoose.

Sounds just like what I'm looking for... Thanks again
Old 07-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me not neccisarily, My anchor has and still is based on where I anchor the release head and string and my face position not neccisarily on where the hand is anchored, so I have had to make no changes in my draw length, with the little goose release I held my hand anchored just a little farther back back of the added length in the wrist strap release.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

From that description, one instance sounds like you are overdrawn and would have consistency issues...

Do you find you shoot better groups or more accurately with the winn over the LBG?
Old 07-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find I shoot my best spots , 3D and hunting with the Winn Free Flight C10 Glove Release.... the wrist strap release is just to uncomfortable and still a bit painful to my wrist to shoot anymore... I shoot great spots with the T.R.U Ball Chappy Boss release but seem to get a touch of target panic with it on the 3D targets and havent been able to cure it yet.
For ASA 3D Competition And at the ASA World Shoot Championship Classic I will be shooting the Winn C10.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:56 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I'm a big fan of the Winn because they give me a longer power stroke than most releases. (More Power! Ugh, ugh, ugh!) I ended up lengthening the bow's DL 1/2'-1" in order to get me back to my standard anchor point.

I also shoot my best NFAA field and 3D scores with them, even better than with my fancy target releases. (I have to put in a longer adjustment screw to remove some of the "crunchiness" in the release, but not so much that it's unsafe.)

Never used their regular release because I don't shoot off the string. Used the SS for a few years, but prefer their new loop hook model best of all (have three of them).
Old 07-25-2004, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

How does the released increase the power stroke? I have been shooting a Winn for years. I have used many others and always find my way bake to the Winn. I am shooting the SS caliper and luv it. I started with the C-10 and used it for years. I wish they still made there rope release, I think that was the best you could by when it was made.

Has anyone tried the relaxed trigger release? what head does that rease have on it?

Quick Reply: Winn releases- SS versus regular

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.