Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New bow...speed....weight?

Old 07-22-2004, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New bow...speed....weight?

I’m in the market for a new bow next spring. I’m going to shoot a bunch of bows, but right now I have my eye on a Patriot Dually. I do have a question though, pertaining to draw weight and speed. The IBO spec speed on the Pat Dually is 330 +/-4 fps. I don’t have any problems shooting 70#, but I was thinking about dropping my weight down to 60# since the speed is more than adequate at 70# and I suspect the speed at 60# will still be greater than I’m getting now out of my FX(approx. 280fps). Here’s what I want the setup to include:

370 gr completed ACC
String loop(no nock) and peep….nothing else on the string (besides Bowtechs dampeners)
60# Draw Weight
29” Draw length
Dropzone or MZE….or some other dropaway, but a dropaway for sure

What should I deduct for the 20grains on the arrow?
The loop, peep and dampeners?
10# drop in draw weight?
1” drop in draw length?

I realize that this is only an estimate, I just want to have some kind of idea of what it’ll be like.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New bow...speed....weight?

Jason.

My 03 Pat Dually 60lb 28" draw 374gr arrow cronoed @ 276fps

The 04 Pat Dually will have a smoother draw due to the new roller bearings and a tad faster.

I think both PDQ and WWAG both have the 04 Pat Dually and from memory they both have a 29" draw you could PM them for their speeds.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ausie!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:55 AM

At 29 inch draw and 65 pounds my '04 does 293 fps with a 392 grain Easton FatBoy. With a 350 grain 5575 GoldTip it will do 308 fps. These arrows weights were obtained by weighing them on a Hornady powder scale so they are actual weights. I'm guessing that you could deduct 2 fps per 1 pound draw weight decrease to 60 pounds and arrive with a speed of 283 fps and 298 fps for the 350 grain arrow
Old 07-22-2004, 01:44 PM

03 Pat Dually
62#(maxed out)
29" draw
370 grain arrow
Loop, peep and whiskers
291-292 (depending on barometric pressure)

I shot 70 pounds before this bow and that's why I went with the Patriot at 60. It's a damn pleasure to shoot and I can can draw it standing on my tiptoes, bent over backwards while drinking a beer...and still have enough energy to blow through bones.

My shoulder has thanked me already
Old 07-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious about why you guys chose the dually over the Pat SC? Dually only has 5 more fps if I remember correctly, SC Pat has more forgiving specs.

Really, just curious.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

SC Pat has more forgiving specs.
How-so? Pat DC has 5/8 to 3/4" more brace, and 2.5" more Axle to Axle length.

60 pound dual cam (regardless of riser platform) from BowTech is plenty fast, and plenty of bow for any kind of big game barring the big bears and perhaps Bison (assuming an average 28-30" draw length). No need to kill yourself with a 70 pounder unless you are a speed freak like Vic or Kevin Strother himself Those cams REALLY load up at 70 pounds. Too much for me, and I'm a big boy. Of course I feel like a puss when Kevin shoots a 115 pounder regularly

My 60 pound P40DC shot 8 FPS faster than my 71 pound X-Tec with the same arrow and junk on the string. And at 60 pounds was an easier draw than the X-Tec @ 71. Noise levels favored the X-Tec, but not by a significant margin. Brace heights were within 1/8".
Old 07-22-2004, 04:36 PM

For me it was partially the draw cycle. I dont care what anyone says...the Bowtech Duallys are smoother than the infinity at the same weight.

Second was the idea and principle. Duallies are more effecient and seems to be more balanced.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

I got a dually because... Mathews suck and... Single cams are a thing of the past....

LOL... actually it was due to the very high reveiws from people on here and over on AT.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get Duallies because why have 1 when you can have 2.

Quick Reply: New bow...speed....weight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.