Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Significant Fletch Contact.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Significant Fletch Contact.

Not enough to throw my shots off, but enough to mess up my vanes. I'll run you through what's happening with pictures so you'll know exactely what I'm talking about.

So a couple nights ago I refletch all my arrows because I noticed that they were looking a little worn. I guess you could say they were looking really "broken in" so to speak. I decided to shoot today since it wasn't breezy like it has been for the last couple of days.

Those are my vanes before I got home today.

Now for some reason, when Martin made the Jaguar bow, they made the slot that you screw your rest into differen't than most other companies that I've noticed. Rather than having a hole or two to screw the rest into, you have a slot. I purchased a QuickTune 2000 Drop Away when I bought my bow. The bolt that came with the rest was too short for me to be able to screw the rest into the slot. I was forced to purchase a completely differen't bolt that for some reason won't hold the rest in position like it should, keeping the arrow from contacting it after the shot.

Here you can see the slot I'm talking about along with the aftermarket bolt I had to buy in order to fit the rest on the bow.

On nearly every arrow I shot today, I noticed that each left a small amount of rubber from the vane that was contacting on the rest, leaving me to beleive that there is a significant amount of contact. If it were minimal, it wouldn't leave any markings, right?

Here you'll notice the white markings I'm talking about on the left hand side of the rest.

For some reason this isn't affecting my shots as much as you would think, I can still hit where I'm aiming, and I can group my arrows very well. For some, this might not seem like a problem, but to a perfectionist it's a nightmare. It's causing a wave like appearance to my vanes and it's leaving little indentations along one side of the vane making contact. I really don't have the money to be able to refletch my arrows after every time I shoot, and I sure don't have enough to buy a new rest.

Wave like appearance.

Indents on the side of the vane making contact.

So, has anyone ever experienced a problem like this? I was told by one person that any bow shooting speeds over 240 fps with the QT2000 will make contact, but I find this hard to beleive. Why would NAP put a product like that out on the market? If you've experienced this before, what did you do to fix the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Significant Fletch Contact.

I'll assume that this was not a problem with the arrows before you re-fletched, so something during the process has created the problem.
With that assumption, I'd start by checking knock alignment.I created a similar problem when I decided to replace some broken nocks one time- didn't pay particular careful attention to the alignment, and had them off enough to create contact where there was none before.
The other things I would take a look at are:
1. are the new vanes similar in lenght and profile to the old?
2. is the degree of offset the same as the old?
3. did you inadvertently change from a helical to a straight fletch (or vice versa)?

hoped something here will help, good luck, and please post your correction when you find it!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried shooting cock vane up? That might solve your problem. I'm not familiar with the QT2000, but is there a way to adjust the drop timing?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:10 PM

Actually the same thing was happening before, that's why I decided to refletch. The vanes were starting to look really worn, 2 or 3 times as bad as in the picture.Perhaps I should refletch again and switch from helical to a straight fletch and try that? I mean this really isn't THAT big of a deal, it isn't affecting my shots any, but I'd really like to fix the problem so I don't have to refletch as often.

Yes I've tried shooting cock vane up, but the cock vane STILL for some reason makes contact in the same spot.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:50 PM

sounds like you could try a straight fletch, or rotate the nock slightly.
I'm not familiar with your rest either, and it's hard to get a good overall picture of it from the one picture you have.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:32 PM

Ok, I don't know if these will help, but here are 6 differen't shots of my rest.

Maybe they'll help, maybe they won't, you be the judge.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nocking point may be too low causing the fletch to bottom out on the rest.
Have you paper tuned the bow to see if you are getting a clean hole thru paper?

If not you may need to.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

one thing I can see for sure is that those prongs look awfully short which could be the problem.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:56 PM

I did paper tune and I was shooting clean holes.

The prongs are the ones that came with the rest. Even if they were longer, how would that help? Wouldn't they just hit the prong rather than the base then?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

longer prongs would get it farther away from the base.
are you using the steel cable if so ditch it and get some string loop material and serve it on your down buss cable. Make sure the rest is coming all the way up only 1 to 2 inches from full draw.
if you hace the rest coming up too soon the rest dont have enough time to fall completley out of the way of the fletching.

Quick Reply: Significant Fletch Contact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.