Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is my arrow too heavy?

Old 07-20-2004, 06:35 PM

Default Is my arrow too heavy?

Ok a little background. I have a PSE FireFlite, 60lb draw, 28" I am shooting carbon express terminator hunters 4560, 125 grain broadhead (total wt = 477 grains)

I was doing a little practicing tonight. at 20 yards i was dead on, i tried 30 yards with the same pin - over 12" of drop. Is that excessive or average? I dont know my exact arrow speed, havent had time to get to a shop with a chrono to test it but that seemed like a lot of drop to me.

I have read several posts where the recommended weight for hunting arrows is 400+. If i switch to a 100 grain head i would be right around 450 grains but my FOC would change from 10% to 8%, should i be concerned about that?

and finally, i am probably going to a 70# bow next year, i am thinking of picking up some of the terminator hunters this year in the 6075 size to use this year and next. is this too much arrow for my setup?

Sorry about the dissertation, any help will be appreciated

thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is my arrow too heavy?

Krotalus! this is just my opinion ,but I would say that your arrow is too heavy ,I've been told the same and I'm shooting a 04 BowTech dually at #60 and 28" draw .But I seriously think that you don't need to shoot 125gr heads 100gr should be sufficient .I'd definetly go to a lighter arrow and broadhead for your setup you would have no problems at all.I shoot the gold Tip3D pro's and they wiegh 356 including my 75 gr field point,so with my broadhead my total wieght is 381gr and I plan on using them for moose and deer without batting an eye. But if your dropping 12" in 10yrds that's telling me your over arrowed. I shoot my Gold Tips 10 to 30 yrds with a single pin.
I have a set of 6075 terminator hunters and I've been told that for my setup that they are too heavy and to expect close range shot's.

nubo
Old 07-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

If you went with 100 gr bh's and 4" feathers you would be at 434gr arrow and 10.3 foc. 5" feathers would be 437 and 10 foc. Take a look at Jacksons Archery website the foc tool is kinda cool.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:31 PM

Your arrow is probably too heavy. If your a yard off you could wound the deer.
I also have the PSE Fire-Flite. Good bow isn't it?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:23 PM

i might have to look into the Gold Tips, they seem pretty reasonably priced too

using the 5575, with 125 grain head and 4" vanes gives me 418 grains and an FOC of 10.2

these would also remove the problem of replacing all my arrows when i go to a 70lber next season.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

there you go ,i think you've found your answer. good luck and hope thing's work out .
I would still consider going to a 100gr Broadhead though for this season and wwhen you move to #70 then go to the 125gr head.

nubo
Old 07-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting a 449 grain arrow at 63lb at 230ft/sec do you think thats to heavy? I'm going to crank it up to 70 soon so I should gain almost 20 ft/sec.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:06 AM

The only problem i saw with the 100 grain head is that it drops me to 7.9% FOC, to get back over 10% i would need to use 3" feathers.

I use a Drop Zone so i have been contemplating trying a helical fletch, maybe a 3" helical feather is the way to go.

i can see where i am going to have to start making my own arrows
Old 07-21-2004, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your arrow is not too heavy , I shoot 28" and 60 lbs . Last year I shot terminators 6075s with 100 grain tips , with feathers they weighed around 480 grains , I killed 2 deer with them . This year Im switching to beman matrix around 400 grains , because thy fly better for me .
Old 07-21-2004, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does the arrow hit where it's supposed to when you aim at the 30 yard target with your 30 yard pin? Then your arrow is not too flippin' heavy!!

Can you tell the difference between 20, 25 and 30 yards when you're shooting 3D? Can you judge the distance and choose the correct sight pin and aiming point so as to keep the arrow in the kill zone? Then your SKILLS are good enough that your arrow arrow is not too heavy.

One chooses Terminators for POWER AND PENETRATION, not for speed and ultra-flat trajectory. The lighter you go, the more speed and flatter trajectory you get, but the less power and penetration. If you've got power to burn, then you can safely use it to gain speed and still get good penetration on the animal. If you've got a low energy setup (light draw weight, short draw length low efficiency bow, or any combination of such), then you have to maximize your arrow's power.

If you want to use one pin out to 30 yards, set the pin to hit dead on at 27 yards, then learn where to hold a tad low for shootin' at stuff inside 20 yards. That applies to any arrow weight. Lighter, faster arrows will reduce the amount of hold-under you have to use under 20 yards and MIGHT give you a couple extra yards of effective range on the tail end. As long as they've got the power to do the job.

Every time I hear the argument that light, fast arrows and flat trajectories reduce the need for precise distance judgement, I cringe. It's true, to a certain extent, but the implication is that people will be taking shots when they are unsure of the distance. Is that deer 32 yards out or 40 yards? If you don't know, that is a no-shoot situation.

Quick Reply: Is my arrow too heavy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.