Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is my arrow too heavy?

Old 07-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is my arrow too heavy?

Let me reiterate qwhat Art and ijimmy have said, your arrows are not too heavy. Put on another pin and site it in for 30 yards.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:51 AM

I dont mind using a different pin at 30 yrds, what has me concerned is if that amount of drop is translating into an excessive loss of energy.

My first course of action is to try 100 grain points, i want to see how much of an improvement they are over the 125s.

Thanks for the input guys, i am still learning and sometimes there are too many variables to consider.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

what has me concerned is if that amount of drop is translating into an excessive loss of energy.
Quite the opposite! Heavier arrows start off with more energy and momentum at the bow and they RETAIN their energy far better than light arrows downrange. Assuming they're shot from the same bow, a 500 gn arrow will hit harder at 30 yards than a much lighter and faster 350 gn arrow will.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:07 AM

I was poking around Gold Tips site and found that they have thier own FOC and weight calculator which gave me different results than bowjackson.com I think i will pick up some of the Gold Tips and test them along side the terminators with both 125 and 100 grain tips.

Thanks again to everyone for thier input, it is greatly appreciated
Old 07-22-2004, 08:28 AM

I dont mind using a different pin at 30 yrds, what has me concerned is if that amount of drop is translating into an excessive loss of energy
The amount of drop does not equate to loss of engery. Matter of fact just the opposite. the heavier arrow will have more momentum at 30 yards than a ligher arrow. More Momentum is a good thing. More momemtum means the arrow will impact the target more aggressively than a lighter arrow with less momentum. When hunting an aggressive impact is a good thing.

Just learn to shoot what ya got. Learn to judge yardage and your on your way to being a complete hunter.

Websites are full of people trying to take short cuts buying faster and flatter so they don't have to jude yardage.
I suppose if they could go out and buy, aim, they would.
(My humble Opion)
Seems everyone thinks they can go out and buy equipment that will elimate the need to work at the fundematals of bow hunting. Well not true. slow heavy arrows were killing white tail deer for many years before there was even a fast light rig on the planet.
Guess what your 477( which is not really heavy by the way) grain arrow shot from your bow will kill a deer just fine. All you have to learn to do, is tune the bow and arrow combination, learn to hit what you are aiming at up to your maximum range (which only you can know.) then after you have learned, all you have to do is put the arrow where it is suppose to go when the time comes.
Some of us have worked many years to accomplish this.

good luck.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:43 AM

thanks Bees, i am still in the infancy of my bowhunting career and still looking for the right combinations of things. not necessarily looking for a shortcut, just trying to figure out what works and what doesnt.

ORIGINAL: Bees

... learn to hit what you are aiming at up to your maximum range (which only you can know.)

that statement is what has me questioning all of the arrow related issues. How do i know when my "proficiency" extends beyond my bow's effective range. Sure I could practice everyday and be able to lob arrows into the bull at 100 yards, but what good is that if the arrow isnt carrying enough energy to drop the deer.

my arrow carries X ft-lbs of energy at launch, how do i estimate how much it is carrying at different ranges? do i need to set a chrono up in front of the target at each yardage and take speed measurements?

my engineering background is starting to show through, am i completely overanalyzing this?

thanks again, i think i need to give my brain a rest and just go shoot
Old 07-22-2004, 11:55 AM

I don't know what your KE would be downrange, there are several different programs that will calculate that for you fairly accurately. In my own humble opinion, any modern compound, which you have, will kill a deer just fine if you hit him. Your arrow weight with a good, quality broadhead will be incredibly effective, if you hit the boiler room. Your penetration will be measured in inches of dirt on the other side. My arrows are currently about 440 grain (which I consider on the light side). I am currently pulling about 65#'s. I thought about going heavier, but maybe next year, as I have spent enough money this year already (new bow). I do have to be careful with yardage, but I know my limits. I use a Magnus Stinger 125 and I can't wait to get after elk and muley's in 5 weeks. I am not worried about the energy, just the accuracy at the moment of truth. I know if I do my job, my equipment will do its job. Get comfortable with what you shoot and get after 'em!!

JMAC

PS As an engineer as well, I do find myself going WAY overboard with my equipment, to the point that I sometimes think more than shoot. I have since seen the light..
Old 07-22-2004, 01:25 PM

I think more people should be asking "are my arrows to light".The AMO standard everyone used for years was 9 gp#.Your arrows are 8 gp#.When the IBO speed craze hit everyone started shooting 5-6 gp#.Your arrows are fine.The 6075 will be too stiff at 60#

CB