Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

LX vs. Liberty

Old 07-20-2004, 02:21 PM

Default LX vs. Liberty

I’m in a bit of a dilemma and looking for some advice. I was lucky enough to win a brand new Mathews LX bow & quiver from the Bowhunter Defense course at the IBO shoot in Erie last month. Sent in my gift certificate a couple weeks ago and got the bow last night.

I’m having trouble deciding whether to keep it or sell/trade it for something else. I already have a Liberty and the two bows seem to be very similar. My thinking is that I could end up with something a little different such as a dual cam or cam & ½.

For those of you who have shot both the LX and the Liberty, were there any major differences? Pros & cons of one vs. the other?

I know I could settle this pretty easily by shooting them side by side but I figure that if I decide to sell the LX, it may fetch a few more $$ with the sticker & tag still on the string proving it’s never been shot.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LX vs. Liberty

Wow, congrats! How much ya want for it?

LX will be faster (by quite a bit..about 15 FPS) and have a touch more handshock. Brace height is roughly 1" lower than the Liberty.

Liberty will draw a bit easier on the back end, shoot a touch smoother and will be slower. If you shoot at 65% letoff the valley will be better than the LX @ 65% letoff

If such things concern you, the HP cams on the Mathews have level nock travel, and I think the LX balances a bit better bare bow. But the Zebra strings they are using on the Ovation, OB and LX, leave alot to be desired.

Tough choice...It would really depend on what you want to do..either makes a fine hunting bow..one's a hot rod, and one is a bit more laid back and easy going. I've shot a bunch of arrows through the LX and just never put the money down (came close several times). If it had a better valley @ 65% I would have bought one the first day they hit the stores last year. Thats's the only reason I have not owned one.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it had a better valley
Seems to be a trend with Mathews.

I hope they are paying attention.

A bit of valley on the Outback and it'd be near perfect in my hands...
Old 07-20-2004, 03:35 PM

Thanks Jeff. I did notice that it seemed to be better balanced than the Liberty. I’ll probably break down & fling a few through it. I’m not sure I can possess a new bow & not shoot it at least once. I probably would have done so already if it weren’t dark when I opened it up last night.

Either way I’m keeping the Liberty. It’s just too easy to shoot. If the LX isn’t different enough I’ll probably pass it on for something else. I’ll cut you a good deal if I do decide to sell. I mean, you did send me that $6 cable slide at no charge. So let’s see, $6 + $1 shipping (rounding up)…I’ll give you at least $7 off suggested retail.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeep, if you decide to ditch the LX and Jeff doesn't want it, I may know an interested party who just looked at one today in fact.

Let me know...
Old 07-20-2004, 04:22 PM

heck if it was free I would shoot it a while & see what it was like. If you don't like it after some shooting trade it in on something new.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Jeff you trading sides on me now ,Your selling your xtec and gonna try a Mathew's ,we need to talk buddy.hahaha
I'm just kidding Jeff I wouldn't mind trying one myself but I don't think I could take my hand's off my new bow long enough to try it .

nubo
Old 07-21-2004, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeepnut

I’ll cut you a good deal if I do decide to sell. I mean, you did send me that $6 cable slide at no charge. So let’s see, $6 + $1 shipping (rounding up)…I’ll give you at least $7 off suggested retail.

Hmmm, Jeff always gets the credit ($)...

ORIGINAL: nubo

Hey Jeff you trading sides on me now ,Your selling your xtec and gonna try a Mathew's ,we need to talk buddy.

nubo, I don't think he's trading sides, I think it's just the (I can't make up my mine for sure) feminine side of him that comes out every once in a while... OUCH!.... Can ya feel the love?...

BTW nubo, have you ever seen the list of bows that Jeff's owned? It's pretty incredible to say the least...
Old 07-21-2004, 07:20 AM

Sorry Pat. I know the slide originated from you (thanks, by the way) so if Jeff passes I’ll offer you the same $7 discount.

I don’t know what I was thinking yesterday. Why would I even consider having a new bow and not shooting it? The negative side effects of a long day at the office I guess.

I tied on a loop, installed a generic rest I had laying around and shot it for a little while last night. At 65 lbs it was noticeably faster than the Liberty at 68lbs (no chrono to know for sure how much). But the only thing on the string was a loop so that’s not really an equal comparison.

I didn’t notice an overabundance of hand shock, even shooting it pretty much bare. And it was fairly quiet as well. But I did notice the almost non-existent valley. Wow! I already knew what it meant to have little or no valley, but now I have a much more complete understanding of that concept. I tend to creep a bit on occasion, particularly toward the end of a long shooting session. I could see myself loosing a lot of arrows with that LX. It would probably be a great tool to break me of that creeping habit, but I’m not sure I could afford the arrow costs.

It’s a great bow. I loved the way it felt and the way it shot. I really like the 36” ata. But because of the unforgiving valley and the fact that it’s not a whole lot different than the Liberty I already own, I think I’ll be passing on. Now the fun begins…time to start shopping for its replacement.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:55 AM

Patriot VFT!!!!!

Quick Reply: LX vs. Liberty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.