Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paging all Scott Rhino users (or similar style)

Old 07-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Paging all Scott Rhino users (or similar style)

I know these are designed to work with a string loop, and I've yet to read a report of the loop slipping off the peg, so they must hold pretty securely.

So... Why can't you shoot the peg directly off the bowstring? Doesn't seem like there's that much difference in diameters to make slippage a big issue, is there?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:28 AM

Default RE: Paging all Scott Rhino users (or similar style)

I'm sure Matt or some other more knowledgeable Rhino user will pitch in with a better theory/explanation, but here's mine for what it's worth.

When the Rhino is shot from a loop, the loop sort of wraps around the peg so to speak keeping the peg in one place. When you shoot a standard caliper style release directly off the string, it may slide up or down a little during the draw but because of the closed jaws it isn't going to come off the string. I can't see the peg of the Rhino staying put as it slides up or down the string.

The new & improved Rhino has more of a hook shaped peg, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem. But if you decide to try it I'd plan on wearing a helmet or at least a mouthpiece.

Another thought....there's also the issue of torque. If you should torgue the head of the release a little while shooting off of a loop, the loop will flex & move with the release. But torque the head a little while shooting off the string and the peg will surely slip off.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmm... I'm having a hard time visualizing slight up and down movement causing the bowstring to come off the peg.

Here's a pic of the Truball Short and Sweet in action I snipped off AT (sorry for the size)-

Good close up detail. Appears that the bowstring would fit in the peg quite nicely but I don't know...

Just caught your edit. I could see that possibly being an issue to contend with...
Old 07-19-2004, 11:07 AM

Was just thinking that any movement of the release could cause it to slip off the string. The loop would be a little more forgiving. Guess I could have worded it a little better.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Range,
A string loop is about half the diameter of the average served string, and more important is the fact that it is limp and flexible. The peg digs in hard to the loop, and the non-torque flexible nature is what keeps it there. If you rotate your hand in either direction (which will also rotate the peg, the string loop will rotate with it.
The larger, inflexible nature of the taut bowstring will make it very dangerous if you rotate the head of that release at all during or while at full draw. It could slip right off.
That and the tight bowstring wouldn't really seat as well as a string loop......you could easily not be into the deepest part of the peg to begin with as you attemtp to draw.
IF you could draw straight back like a machine and anchor level everytime you could probably do it but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

****Siiiigggghhh****

Ok.

Why doesn't someone make a longer deeper peg so I can do what I want?

Old 07-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

****Siiiigggghhh****

Ok.

Why doesn't someone make a longer deeper peg so I can do what I want?

'Cos they don't want folks who come up with hairbrained ideas to get hurt and sue?