Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting high

Old 07-17-2004, 09:07 AM

Default RE: Shooting high

I don't consider a bow obsolete for hunting purposes as long as one does not attempt to exceed the limitations of the bow or try to use certain advanced gear on the bow. I believe Arthur P hit the nail on the head.

However, if that bow is the old "bracket bow," especially one with the old "speed brackets," I do believe I would try to find a way to update to a later design.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:30 PM
nub

What brand name of a "sight ring thingy" are you shooting?[&:] Can you post some pics of it from different angles?
Old 07-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres a new pic for you, nub.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:09 AM

Is there a way you could show the bow with an arrow nocked on the string so we can see it on the rest?

To me it sounds like you may have to raise your nocking point!

AL
Old 07-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't consider a bow obsolete for hunting purposes as long as one does not attempt to exceed the limitations of the bow or try to use certain advanced gear on the bow.
Since I'll still whittle a bow outta a tree limb and hunt with it, you KNOW I have to agree with that. [&:] I've been trying to put together a 70's 3D shoot where everyone would have to use aluminum arrows and 4-6 wheel bows with hangar brackets - maybe even wear doubleknit liesure suits. Hasn't been a lot of interest in the project tho...[8D]

There are a huge number of old compounds out there that are still fully capable of doing the jobs they were designed to do, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But mixing accessories from the modern era with bows from 30 years past is something that has to be done carefully... if at all.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Check out the Trophy Taker 7-pin sight, it is a tall oval shape and should be able to give you a bit more distance between the pins, although you may only use it as a 3 or 4 pin sight due to the increased pin gap from a slower bow. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but I think it's on the right track.

Gordon
Old 07-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Ooops, didn't quite read carfully enough[], you need more up travel on your sight (sorry I haven't had my coffee yet), an oblong sight like the trophy taker might help. But, it doesn't look like your sight has gang adjustment (where the entire sightn ring moves up or down), or at least not enough, if you want to get another sight, just take your old sight in to a pro shop, and match up the mouinting holes to see if it has more height adjustability than your sight. I hope I made myself clear...I'm off to get some coffee.

Gordon
Old 07-18-2004, 01:34 PM

Art P:

and I didn't mean to imply otherwise
You didn't. You used the term to qualify your opinion of what you believed the problem is. I simply restated what you said with an emphasis on not exceeding the limitations of any bow.

I like your idea about the older bows; not so keen on the double-knit leisure suit. I have two circa 1975 PSE "Pacer" bracket bows that are still sweet shooters (2-wheelers). This is the bow that Ragsdale set some indoor records with. I traded my 4-wheel Citation in when the advanced and "rad" Pacer hit the scene.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:08 PM

This might sound crazy but I had a similar kind of problem which was caused my my peep site not properly aligned, by that I mean when you draw your bow do it with your eyes closed then anchor to where you are comfortable then open your eyes. If you see directly through the peep with your pin aligned straight if front of you the peep is ok if not adjust the peep until it does. oh also look in a miror from the side or have a friend look as you are anchored to varify that you are on a level plane.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:47 AM

The bow you are shooting was also one of my firsts...approximately 10 years ago. The sight you are using should be adequate for the bow. I had a similar sight with a 10, 20, and 30 yard pin. The pins weren't more than an inch and half apart (all three). I believe your problem lies in your rest or nocking point.

Quick Reply: Shooting high

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.