Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

will your shop let you draw a bow back???

Old 07-16-2004, 07:23 AM

Default RE: will your shop let you draw a bow back???

He said you could shoot it...what's the issue? Common sense IMO.

If you want to draw it...put an arrow on there and life is roses again. You don't have to pull the trigger.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:35 AM

I will let my customers draw the bow back. I do have a sign and explain to them the consequences of a dry fire.

It happened last week when someone pulled back a brand new Outback and let it go[:@]. He paid for the new string and cable it needed. I changed the axles - took it apart and checked it out - shot it a couple times - and sold it to him.

You have to understand - Your Mistake can be a very expensive one to the shop owner - that bow is now unsellable - and hundreds of $ may be lost (unless the owner is willing to sell a dry fired bow as new to another customer - I am not)
Old 07-16-2004, 10:53 AM

I watched lots of people dryfire bows in shops, and then watched as the bow was place back on the rack as if nothing had happened. Many don't realize the force that occurs when the cams roll over, and it gets away. They also don't understand or care about the damage that can be caused to a dryfired bow.

The shop I frequent, only allows a bow to be drawn with an arrow in it, pointed at a target. In my opinion, their policy is a good one and it assures customers that the bow they are about to buy, hasn't been dryfired. Foremost, it's a safety issue. Another problem will be making someone pay for a dryfired bow. That could be difficult, and could cause some bad feelings, that every shop can do without. Personally, if I see a shop allowing customers to draw bows and let them down without an arrow, I will not consider buying a bow from that place.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:04 AM

The shops in my area will let you draw them back on one condition, you must go to the range and draw it back with an arrow so that you can't accidently dry fire the bow.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've often wondered why shops don't buy and use one of those practice shock absorber type doo-hickies that allow you to draw and fire a bow without an arrow, like the one talked about in "idiot proof archery".
Old 07-16-2004, 11:38 AM

I've often wondered why shops don't buy and use one of those practice shock absorber type doo-hickies that allow you to draw and fire a bow without an arrow, like the one talked about in "idiot proof archery".
How many you gonna buy???

Do you want to run around swapping it on and off 10 bows as 3 guys look at them.......LOL

When I get my range I will most likely have an arrow in the bow policy - but for now - I must take the lumps.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

You have to understand - Your Mistake can be a very expensive one to the shop owner - that bow is now unsellable - and hundreds of $ may be lost (unless the owner is willing to sell a dry fired bow as new to another customer - I am not)
You also have to be somewhat concerned about liability issues if someone gets hurt.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was in a local shop when a guy dry fired a bow as well. It had everything already installed on the string...well for a second anyway. I heard that nock ricochet off more walls than I can count and people were diving everywhere. If someone would have gotten hit by it they would have definitely been to the hospital to have it removed. I agree with the now draw policy as long as they let you shoot it.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many you gonna buy???
I just assumed they'd be cheap before they HUGE retail mark up...

Old 07-16-2004, 02:32 PM

Im guessing ,if the shop owner dosent know you , hes thinking your a fist time buyer, and guessing youll dry fire ![:@]

Quick Reply: will your shop let you draw a bow back???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.