Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lettery about speed from Bowtech:

Old 07-23-2004, 12:30 PM

Default RE: Lettery about speed from Bowtech:

Rack-attack
The owner of the Pro Shop here only uses 3” of-set fletching to stabilize Broadheads & I am sure he could stabilize it a little better with 5” helical fletching: but he does not want the drag, but does want the extra speed.

For a Target Archer or Elephant Hunter a 5” helical fletch will slow an arrow down more than a 3” off-set.

And I am not sure yet, where most of this bow/speed problem lies.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:09 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

You guys all forgot the most important thing: Only shoot deer that are directly east of you. That way you'll gain some speed due to the direction of the earth's rotation; otherwise the arrow might not produce the penetration you need to ensure a quick, responsible kill.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:54 AM

The speed of a bow is a very curious thing. It is the main selling point today, and it did not start yesterday.

The Mongols, a small people, could shoot composite bows, from a running horseback, 360 degree, with bow weights to 140#, and with killing power to 400 yds.

The Mongol Empire, which covered about 2/3 of the earth’s land surface, double the size of any other, did not appear, for much more of a reason, than a leisure pursuit: conceivably an Archery Hobby.

One thing they said that may help America today. When one of their military leaders was asked how they breached the Great Wall. He said we did not breach nothing, when people are corrupt, you pay to go in.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the dang bow won't do what they say...then they're liars. Plain and simple.

That said...Mine is 15yrs old, and looks like hell! LOL Probably shooting about 275fps.

Has drawn more blood than most, though.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:46 PM

Thanks Pro-Line:

That is what I was trying to think of all of this time, but did not know how to express it.

When one picks up a new Bow & it will not beat an Old Darton Lighting that has been laying around for some 15 years more or less, even though it was rated a lot higher, you began to wonder what it was you bought. In those days they had a stricter rating system & the bows at times shot higher than they were rated.