Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lettery about speed from Bowtech:

Old 07-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lettery about speed from Bowtech:

DWAASP!
Wow! your one tuff customer to please ,if you think it would be any better elsewhere your sadly mistaken .I don't understand what difference 5fps will make when you shoot at your quarrie ,but I don't think he really will care just how fast that arrow is going when you shoot him. Second when you choose your arrow's for hunting, then your right back where you started.What's the big deal ,am I missing something here? Also you went out and bought a new Chrony for testing ,I'm sure that wasn't cheap ,it sure seem's your going to a lot of trouble over 5or 6 fps.Don't you think?

nubo
Old 07-15-2004, 06:27 PM

Sounds like an argument based on principles. You never win those.

Bow tech probably hope he will buy another brand next time.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:53 PM

DaveC

I had bought this Bow for research that’s why I called them twice to get an idea of what speed I may expect, & with 4 different draw lengths: the initial BC was 28.5” @ 61# -297. I set it up the same way I thought they got the numbers with a full 5 gr lb & got 294. When it came back from the Factory it had a BC of 30” @ 61#-319. I set it up the same way I thought they got the numbers with a full 5 gr lb & got 310. With a few supplements &, shooting 305 gr @ 63#, 4.86 per #, and a setting on the stop that pulled it solid against the Wall I finally got 319. Maybe that is the way the test are made by all companies????
Old 07-15-2004, 08:00 PM

I can feel your pain...

My $25,000.00 Mustang gets 3 MPG less than the window sticker said and when I asked them about it, they said it may be because of my driving style and they don't drive their cars like that when they do their mileage tests.

I guess I need to drive it the same way as they do to get the same results maybe?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:35 PM

it would be very safe to say that all bow companies shoot against the wall, I find it hard to belive that they creep tune or shoot them short of the wall in the valley. It would be too inconsistent, who is to say the the initial testor is shooting from the same place in the valley as the customer is? It also seems to me you may not be familier on the proper usage and placement of the DRAW STOP/LETOFF POST
Old 07-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

dwaasp, I never thought about it but the BC doesn't say what letoff they achieved the speed at. If it was at 65% instead of 80%- that could be where I lost some fps I never considered.

My BC has them shooting a 300 grain arrow at 64#, that translates to 4.6875 grains per pound.
Does that mean BOWTECH voided my warranty!
I really doubt it, but its something to ponder.

Before anybody jumps on me- I Like my bow, but the 60-70#er I test shot was quicker when let down to 62# than this one is at 64#. If I'd know that was gonna be the case I'd buy the 60-70# model I test shot and back it down to 65# Instead of ordering the heavy 60.
My Mighty-mite was quicker only shooting it at 63.5# on my scale & chrony(same set up) than this one is at 65#(my scale).

NOT that I was looking for a speed demon, but IBO ratings are a major consideration when I bow shop. Otherwise I'd be shooting a tomcat.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:05 PM

Speed thrills,Accuracy kills.I took my LX and put a 305gr and got 318fps @70lbs with my 30in draw,YAHOO.The thing about is that I don't shoot it that way.My set-up is 63lbs,415grs-272fps,which is very accurate and comfortable.Just my $.02 worth..Bob
Old 07-16-2004, 02:28 PM

Wow, seems like the guy has a legitimate claim to me. It may be nit-picking, but he attempted to reproduce the exact same scenario as the tested BC scenario, and could not. Now you may not care if your bow is exact, but it sounds like he had much contact to attempt to buy exactly what he wanted. In my opinion, he did not get what he paid for, and apparently he even asked for before and verified the speed before he bought it. If he has a complaint about that, it is well within his right to do so. I am sure there is another side to the story, but he seems justified with the issue.

The mustang seems like a poor analogy, as he is apparently trying very hard to exactly reproduce the results obtained at the factory, and none of us drive at constant speed at optimum efficiency, or even attempt to.

Just my opinion, let the beatings begin,
JMAC
Old 07-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

No beatings jmac! I just wasn't sure of the reasons why he was complaining over a couple fps.Now that he has explained his point I understand where he's coming from.

nubo
Old 07-16-2004, 09:39 PM

pro38_shooter

The, nearby Pro Shop, shot the 5 gr # at 311, 312, and 313 @30”, that was 65% valley, and wall: I was told the owner here is one of the best tech’s and a competition shooter. He took my bow up to the factory on the 4th at the shoot-out. That is when it came back with the BC 319 @ 61#. For me to get the 319 @ 63# it was necessary to add two more speed nocks at various points & over-rotate slightly against the wall. Now as for setting the stop, the Patriot has infinite, when the suggested is near the middle of the range. Now: I am interested in Archery, and would like to know just how the companies get the numbers. If you, are anyone on this topic, has the inside, I would like to know?? Or if you know of an agency in the Western US who has the inside, I would follow-up.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Lettery about speed from Bowtech:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.