Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

10 grain difference enough to cause this?

Old 07-14-2004, 07:22 AM

Default 10 grain difference enough to cause this?

I was given some Gold Tip Series 22 shafts a few weeks ago & I’ve been shooting them for 3-D ever since. I had previously been using some heavy 2413 X7’s. Those X7’s grouped well, but I picked up 25 fps with the Gold Tips which makes the yardage guesstimation part of the game a little less critical.

I grabbed 4 arrows and headed out to practice last night and I found that 2 of those arrows that were consistently hitting about 6” high at 30 yards. Left & right were good but they were high every time. I had only weighed a couple of the arrows when I first got them but I decided to weigh them all last night. The two that were hitting high weighed in at 361 and 362. All of the others weighed between 370 & 372 and they all group well.

Is 10 grains enough to cause those 2 arrows to hit 6” high at 30 yards or is it simply a coincidence? 10 grains is such a small amount that I can’t see it making such a big difference.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 10 grain difference enough to cause this?

I agree with your gut. No way 10 grains accounts for 6". Fractions maybe, at best.

I bet it's spine related. Have you tried rotating the nocks assuming that's an option?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:41 AM

Rotating nocks is on the agenda for this evening. Mother nature decided to cut my practice time short last night.

It's just strange that the two in question are also the only two that weigh differently. But I've shot arrows in the past with 100 grain tips vs. 125 grain tips and have found very little difference in point of impact between the two.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

what are you weighing your arrows with??

[just curious]
Old 07-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing some sort of scale...

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 07-14-2004, 08:50 AM

I'm using the Lyman Archer's balance-type scale.

I'm with Range on the spine issue guess. I've got a half dozen ACC's sitting on the bench waiting to go hunting so in another couple months this will no longer be an issue. I'd use the ACC's for 3-D but on occasion I've been known to find the 11 ring and invariably someone will bust my nock or split a shaft. That's all part of the game, but I don't think I could stomach watching someone break a $12 arrow.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:00 AM

I would have to say some sort of spine issue. That is assuming you are not getting fletch contact on your rest. A 10 grn weight difference will not make that much of a difference in impact. I don't think it would make any at that distance to be honest. I don't think spine would make that big of a differance either though. But if they weigh less, I bet the spine is off as well. They may not be as straight as the others either.

Paul
Old 07-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spine issues generally show up as lefts and rights. At extreme high speeds, even 10 grains can make a pretty big diff, but 6" may be a bit extreme.

One way to rule out the weight as an issue is to add 10 grains of weight to the point end of the light arrows and see what happens.

I would remove the point and inserts and make sure they are all in perfectly straight.

Also check for worn out/too tight nocks when you rotate them.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a hunch, but could it be your tips are where the 10gr shortage is? Maybe causing a slight change to FOC and little bit lofty flight? Just a hunch!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:32 AM

Had to take care of irrigation on the sod farm last night so I didn't get the chance to experiment any.

Jeff,
I'm shooting around 275fps so I think we can rule out the "extreme high speed". I'll try your other suggestions & will definitely check the nocks. As I mentioned, these were freebies so no telling how much use they saw before I got them. Actually, I think I'll go ahead & replace the nocks anyhow just for peace of mind if nothing else. It's a 2115 unibushing for the series 22's, right?

Jason,
I'll double check the point weight. Now that you mention it I do remember experimenting with some 65 and 75 grain points. If my math is correct that would make about a 10 grain difference. But I'm still leaning toward it being some other issue. I just can't see 10 grains making that much difference.

Quick Reply: 10 grain difference enough to cause this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.