Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Contacts, glasses and peep sights

Old 07-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Contacts, glasses and peep sights

Spotted Owl.......Depending on your perscription, glasses or contacts can make a huge difference! If I switch between my contacts and glasses, my point of impact changes by about 8" at 20 yards. The difference is due to my relatively strong perscription (-5.00) and the high index lenses I have in my glasses. The high index lenses have a different index of refraction than my contact lenses so the various wavelength light will pass through them at a different angle. The farther you go toward the end of the spectrum the worse the angle will be. On my Spot Hogg sight if you look at the sight straight on, the red pins (red is near the end of the spectrum) are about 1/16" out of line with the green pins. The Yellow are about 1/32 out of line with the green ones. When I am at anchor all of the pins appear to be in line.

Not to bust your chops, but switching between glasses and contacts can have a pretty big effect.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wear glasses (actually now I had to get bi-focals [:-] ) and I shoot with a Shurz-a-peep and have no problems. My glasses will fog up in the extreme cold occasionally when I wear a face mask. But, normally I wipe the lenses with that anti-fog stuff.

Butch A.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:03 AM
c j
Typical Buck

As far as the No Peep goes, it shouldn't make any difference whether you wear glasses or contacts.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:38 AM

Two words - "Laser Surgery"

We have 5 people at my office now (out of a total of 50 who work here) who have had laser eye surgery and love it. Lose the glasses and contacts.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:41 AM
etw

I wear glasses for distance, shooting a bow or not. I've found the more open the weave of the mask the less chance of fogging. The spandex headnet/mask that you custom cut eye and mouth holes works best. Also use the anti-fog stuff. Had the anti-reflective coating applied to the lenses. Same coating the TV folks use. Reflection is green rather than white. I use surz-a-peep AND a kisser button. Works for me.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too wear glasses and I also use a peep sight. It took me a while to adjust to them though. I didn't like using the 1/8" peep with glasses and found the 3/16" worked much better for me.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought contacts many years ago when I couldn't take the fogging and possible glare that glasses are subject to. I only use my contacts for hunting.