Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Split or solid limbs ? (poll)

Old 07-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Split or solid limbs ? (poll)

So what are the pros and cons ? Which one is better and why ?
Tell me if youve ever had limbs crack or break and tell me what kind of bow it was on, and if they were split or solid limbs.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:47 PM

Default RE: Split or solid limbs ? (poll)

There really isn't a "better one". It would all depend on how the whole bow is designed. Split limbs do offer better stabilization to the idler and/or cams...the wider the better and the further apart the better...due to the fact that on most single cam systems the cam is pulled to one side or the other because the string is coming off a centered idler-wheel and being placed off-center on the cam. There are also many solid limbs of good design...Gordon Power-tuff limbs are a great example (inuse on Parker and older Mathew's). The more parallel the limbs the easier it is on the excentrics. The numerous problems I have encountered on split limb bows happened early on in their introduction, they have improved by leaps and bounds since then. Currently, I have seen no difference in limb failure between soild or split limb designs.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:56 AM

From everything I've read on the subject, solid limbs appear to have a slight advantage, at least on paper. I've never really liked split limbs, because on the one bow I owned that had them, they were a bit of a pain. Removing the limbs to work on the bow, was more of a hassle. Limb savers had to be taken on and off, the limbs were trickier getting them seated properly when re-assembling the limbs. Little stuff that was annoying.

While hunting with a split limb bow, it gave another place to get caught on twigs and grasses. Nothing serious, just a little more of a pain in the rear. I can live with them, but prefer the solid limbs.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

While hunting with a split limb bow, it gave another place to get caught on twigs and grasses. Nothing serious, just a little more of a pain in the rear. I can live with them, but prefer the solid limbs.
Ditto. [&:] I've had 3 split limb bows. Still got one of 'em. I won't have another.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:09 PM

solid.

slayer
Old 07-13-2004, 07:11 PM

I like solid....I see no reason for a split limb bow!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:17 PM

Not to be rude...but what paper was that you see the solid being superior? Last I knew Hoyt swept Las Vegas this year and has won just as many tournaments if not more than Mathew's
Old 07-14-2004, 06:09 AM

Not to be rude...but what paper was that you see the solid being superior? Last I knew Hoyt swept Las Vegas this year and has won just as many tournaments if not more than Mathew's
It wasn't a paper, it was on this and other forums. Do a search on the subject and you should find a lot of info on the subject. Most would acknowledge that Hoyt makes the best of the split limbs, however keep in mind that bows don't win tournaments, archers do.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Hoyt and of course split limbs. I really don't see any difference between the two. Of the major bow companies, split or solid, they are pretty close to equal any more. Both will hold up well.

How many limb failures have you heard of lately on Hoyt, Bowtech or Mathews? Not to mention the hords of other companies that make bows. Limb failure is pretty much unheard of any more compared to years past.

Look at it this way...Last I heard Gordon makes darn near all of the limbs anyway.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never owned a slit limb bow, and see no need for it.

Quick Reply: Split or solid limbs ? (poll)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.