Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching contact?

Old 07-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fletching contact?

I'm getting contack on the cock fletch. My arrows are fletched cock down & I use a shoot thru. Its not bad, after a bunch, maybe 15, shots or so you can see the fletch is hitting something. It was set up pretty much square & I raised my string loop about 1/8 but its still hapening. I'm shooting 2216's 28" at about 68# with 100 grain points. Should I raise the loop more? Should I increase the spring tension on my rest? The arrow clears everything if I draw it thru by hand.

Thanx in advance.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching contact?

You may have to seperate issues. First you probably need to rotate your arrow nocks to eliminate the contact. You did say you have a shoot through rests. 2nd a 29" 2216 shot from a 68# bow may be a bit on the weak side as far as arrow spine. This is assuming that your shooting a fairly modern or recent manufacture bow with a single or hard cams. That also may be an issue. I suggest paper tuning and rotating your nocks to see where the problem is.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

The bows probably 7 or 8 years old but in like new condition, its a Martin Cougar speed flight. I shot it over a chrony & was getting about 235 fps out of it if that helps.

I'll try paper tuning but I believe the knocks are ok, I went thru alot to get them right while fletching. It looks like the fletch is hitting the rest between the prongs where they pivot, I wanna call it the barrel but dont know if I'm correct. I'm fairly sure the contact isnt on the riser & I shoot tight groups out to 25 yards, at 30 they open up to 4 " or so but I think its me as I dont practice much beyond 20 - 25 yards.

Thanx for the suggestion.

Just looked at a size chart for easton aluminum shafts & your right, I'm right on the edge & might be underspined a bit. I been shooting Gamegetters & 2219 is the next size up, but then I'd be overspined. Whats better?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:04 PM

Are you shooting straight or helical. If you are shooting helical that may e your problem. I woiuld also try tightening the spring tension and see if that helps. Running the arrow through with your hand, you are not able to create the flex or any downward movement you have when shooting the arrow. I would try the spring.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

I'm shooting 4" vanes with a slight right offset.

Was looking at Eastons bow tuning guide & I guess I should shoot it thru paper & see whats going on.
Never paper tuned before as my local shop says its obsolete because he's got some fancy gizmo that lines everything up perfect. Guess I shoulda knew better as I already had to move my centershot out a bit.

Do most of you guys use the micro adjust rests? Seems it'd be tough moving mine in small increments with any kind of certainty how far I moved it.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:05 PM

Can you give more details such as type of arrow, helical or straight, type of rest, etc?

This will help to give you abetter answer. So far it sounds like fletch contact on a prong style rest with offset or helical vanes. Depending onthe rest & arrows I can give you some clear advice.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

I'm shooting 4" vanes with a slight right offset cock fletch down.
I'm shooting Gamegetter 2216's 28" at about 68# with 100 grain points.
The rest is a shoot thru type wth 2 prongs, I'm not sure of the brand but its a real simple rest.
What I think is happening is the rest is folding down as the arrow passes & the cock vane is hitting the rest between the prongs. I just dont know if I should give the rest more spring tension or move my nocking point higher. I use a caliper type release & my nocking point is about a 1/8 above square now.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:38 PM

Like I said before I would try tightening the spring that may solve the problem
Old 07-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Ash,

Thanx, I fully intend to try that first. Its the easiest thing to try anyhow. I was mostly writing that last post for Orion's sake, the more opinions the better.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Got it all fixed up, I tightened up the spring tension a little & shot it thru paper. Had to move my rest out a smidge but it all came together after that I ordered some 2219's before I did the adjustments, so I guess I'll be trying those when they come & see how they shoot.

Thanx for the tips.

Quick Reply: Fletching contact?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.