Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Great article on Broadhead sharpness

Old 07-09-2004, 04:09 PM

Default RE: Great article on Broadhead sharpness

I have probably killed well over 30 deer with my bow and used all kinds of broadheads that were sharp. I would say the average distance they run is around 60 yards a few of them maybe around 30 yards. So if this guy is trying to say his average kill is with in 30 yards he must be shooting them while tied to a 30 yard piece of rope. I call BS
Old 07-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack
I have read that thing a few times...then looked at the top of the page to see it was a BUCKMASTER article.
Yep..that pretty much speaks for itself don't it?
Old 07-09-2004, 11:07 PM

After Rack Attacks comments what more need be said other than buckmasters.

Number one all this will do is fool the foolish into buy more of what they should already have enough of. Doesn't evryone have the tools already to sharpen their bh's?

Number two is that this will give gun hunters and anti's more fuel to throw onto their own fire. This time instead of making it up or finding it on their own it was published in a hunting mag for all the world to see how unethical and unresponsible hunters are portraid to be by some of the biggest names in theirb own industry.

I hope all this made sence and I didn't get to far out on the wing.

As for the examples before I would believe anything even romately close to total fabrications such as these I would have to see with my own eyes then I would have a hrad time trusting what I would be seeing as was well put before bulls[:@]t on both of those.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you all seem to agree this guy is mostly full of BS.
You also seem to agree that Sharp Broadheads are important and some store brands are not necessarily sharp enough.

So my question is, how do most of you sharpen your broadheads?
I've used the crappy BH sharpener from Walmart that only seems to dull my blades and would like some unbiased opinions.

Also...
your talking to a guy that has killed deer with a flint on the end of his arrow, those broadheads are plenty sharp
Flint and Obsidian blades have an edge 1 molecule wide which is hundreds of times sharper than a surgeon's scalpel.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

It's not all BS... just the stories about the deer that were found w/ arrows through heart and lungs. The rest of the artical is really good... the tools used to sharpen the heads are right on...

I think for what they're charging for broadheads now a days.. they should all come scary sharp. But for some reason that's not the case.

I find it amazing how many people can't even sharpen a knife... let alone a razor blade.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KBacon

I find it amazing how many people can't even sharpen a knife... let alone a razor blade.
:raises hand:

That would be me

My father used to say I could tear up an anvil
Old 07-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

JeffB... my dad said the same thing... closest I ever came was when I broke a sledge hammer.

But I can sharpen a knife and broadheads.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Come on you guy cannot actually believe that an animal could survive with an arrow through the center of its heart/lungs and never removed to top it off, and live for two years with no ill effects. That must have been some vehicle that killed these two SUPER deer (hunters beware). If the initial trauma didn't kill it surely the secondary infection would. Do you know anyone who has or would survive an injury of this nature without prompt medical attention? Their has to be some PHD types out their to elaborate on this. Think about the less then perfect shots that still manage to kill rather quickly. Two perfect shots with the arrow still in the organ and the anilmal walks away unscathed? Anyone seen Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny lately, not me?