Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Up a tree without a clue.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:42 PM

Default Up a tree without a clue.

well guy's this has been a thorn in my side for five years, ever since my permanent stand was stolen and I went to a climber. I have to admit I love my climber, but it never fails I lose a good spot every year because someone places a ladder stand or permanent in my spot.

I hunt mostly public area's and usually start scouting this month and set up a glow tack trail and markers at north, south, east, and west at 20 yds from the tree I plan to hunt from. then leave the area until about a week before hunting season to make sure everythings o.k.

The problem is I been finding stands ( which legally should not be there) placed where I setup to hunt. I know on public land first come, first served. BUT MAN! 10 yds from my tree, and most likely followed my trail.

Remember Just because I didn't leave a mess or a stand doesn't mean I'am not hunting a area. And if I have to share o.k. but can you stay off my leg and take your trash out with you (including your butts).

I guess in closing if this pertains to you, please just try to be courteous. And take a good look around, you may not be the only one out there.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:58 AM

Default RE: Up a tree without a clue.

The pitfall of having to hunt public land.

Regardless that you "tack" your trail and mark your area, without a message being left another hunter might assume the items are old or that you changed your mind and left the stuff behind.

Your are correct. On public land it is first come, first served.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well if they insist on leaving thier junk at this sight ,you just might find that they'll close this sight to all hunters in the future .I agree if you can't pick up your garbage then don't ruin it for others . I know what t's like private land or public land you can't leave any clue's as to being there or someone else will tke your spot or your stand .

nubo
Old 07-06-2004, 05:46 AM

i've heard of guys using a lock on their climber so they could put it our early. someone could still steal it, but it at least be harder.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:42 AM

The problem is I been finding stands ( which legally should not be there) placed where I setup to hunt.
First come first serve by legal means. I know on publc land where I hunt it is illegal to hang a stand this time of year. Some smart A$$ think because he sets his stand mid July that it's his spot. I disagree. I'd get the gps coodinates and let the warden know of you find. They will take the appropiate actions.

1st come 1st serve is fine so long as your not breaking the laws and denying others a legit shot at 1st come
Old 07-06-2004, 09:55 AM

Don't make your trails in so obvious. Don't take them till closer to the season. If they come of a main trail - be very subtle in marking it. No markings at all are best and just remember where to start. Keep tacks low and use as few as possible.