Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pro Shop Blues

Old 02-24-2002, 09:35 PM
8PT

Default RE: Pro Shop Blues

This may be far fetched but is there a possibility that some of these type shops could be getting dealer status in an attempt to block competition for their "PREFERED" brand of bows? Seems like with the protected territory arrangement this could happen. Get dealer status for the competitive brand and only keep a couple of older model bows on hand and then attempt to steer customers to their prefered brand. Might be something for Bowtech to check out. I am sure there have been more underhanded practices than this take place.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:03 AM

Been there, not with Bowtech or anything, but in general, which is why 20 years ago I just gave up on the whole thing, bought my own jigs and presses, and became self sufficient. Not that that handles how you get the product in your hand in the first place. The pro-shop system is OK for beginers etc..., but there are a few of us who have been doing this for a while, and it is more trouble than it is worth. That isn't any slam on the guys on this board that do it right.

How could it be fixed, think PGA. Though I backdoor that whole process also.

I would do some of the stuff already mentioned. Something else I would do is write Mathews, after all this guy isn't exactly the Bowtech dealer of the year. Even if he is pushing Mathews, this kind of dishonest behaviour hurts everyone. It doesn't mater whether they take action or not. They probably wont if it is a one-off.

I once politely wrote Jay Maseey, famous guide and writer, to firmly and politely ask what had happened with my book, that was long overdue. He wrote back equaly politely to say gosh I'm sorry my daughter just died, and we kind of lost track of some stuff, and if I owe you a copy its on its way. Whoa! Everyone has bad days, but the 2hour drive to meet the guy illustrating Webster's definition of Moron is something we could all do without.

What about the Better Business Bureau for the town in question.

Don't drop it, but in your complaints don't exagerate it, or you may end up getting hurt too. Just the facts. He said X on the phone, he didn't have it, and tried to switch me.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:20 AM

There is an old retailing term for this action, it's called "BAIT and SWITCH"!
Old 02-25-2002, 09:32 AM

Nubbb: Quoting you; "So a lot of decent and not so decent "Bowtech Dealers" do have some of last years Bowtechs on the shelf. This leads some of them to badmouth the product."

I have 2 of the 2000 BowTech models left and 5 of the 2001 BowTech models left. I count it as a bad business decision on what my customer base really wanted and that is NOT BowTech's fault.

I know you know this but there are some out there who incorrectly blame the manufacturer. It is not unusual to have "left over" bows at the end of any given year. We discount them for the customers looking for a good deal and get on with the year at hand. We do, however, watch ourselves in how we will order that manufacturer's products for the present year. We have to ask ourselves; is it us, is it the marketplace, or is it the manufacturer's products lacking in some aspect?
Old 02-25-2002, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Just wanted to say I just ordered a Bowtech but before I did , I did a lot of research as well as calling Bowtech, after dealing with Bowtech on the phone I'm sure that these shops who have treated customers the way they have will soon be regretting it as far as Bowtech is concerned. On another note after all the research I did I finally decided to find a shop that carried BT and try them out before I made my final decision,the shop I ended up at is also a Hoyt dealer,when I asked his opinion on both lines his answer was " to be honest with you they are both great companies and it all comes down to personal preferance" I shot a couple Hoyt's and the one BT he had left and made my decision. I sure wish all dealers could be like that.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:07 AM

Len,

Your post said "I have 2 of the 2000 BowTech models left and 5 of the 2001 BowTech models left. I count it as a bad business decision on what my customer base really wanted and that is NOT BowTech's fault".

Len I couldn't agree with you more! I guess I didn't articulate well enough. In no way is it the Manufacturers fault! Some dealers resent their own purchasing decisions and take it out on the manufacturer from time to time. It is for this reason that I think it's so important to have dealers that are behind a product available as sources to potential customers. Having dealers like the one Aussie went to, slam your product makes no sense in my book.

Your enthusiasm for Darton shows and you know that a potential Darton customer will end up better off with you, than with a dealer that has no such enthusiasm for the product.

Best....Nubbb