Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not?

Old 07-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bare Shaft Tuning...Bull$hit or Not?

Sagittarius.... If you think bareshafting is a waste of time, you've obviously never done it CORRECTLY.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You must be one of those Eastern Ky Hillbillies with nothing better to do with your time. LOL
Good God man... It took me YEARS to get that image of Ned Beatty out of my head...

Thanks a lot. [:'(]

Old 07-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

It took me YEARS to get that image of Ned Beatty out of my head...
Quothe he, with the raucous refrain of banjos in the background.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Arthur,

Believe it or not, I've never even tried to bare shaft tune and never once paper tuned either.
My bows are so accurate, they don't need it. LOL
I save paper tuning for my handguns and rifles.

Sag.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sag I can believe you have never tried it. There's always someone that knows more than everyone else even when they don't have a clue whats going on. I would guess you also shoot the best bow made , drive the best truck made, and are pretty much the smartest guy you know.
Also I'm from Western Ky. and I like the term redneck better if you don't mind.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Bareshaft tuning is a waste of time for best tuning IMHO. Why? Because of this---

Arrows with no fletching fly differently than those with fletching. Just as they should...simple as that. Helical, straight, and no fletching all create differing paradox and spine effects and thus differing impact points, and they also tear differently through paper at teh same distance if tuned correctly. If one tunes to get them all together, all one is doing is getting a "happy medium"--and NOT the most optimum tune for any of the individual configurations. If you shoot field points and broadheads together and get them to fly to the same impact spot, same thing---happy medium, NOT the optimum tuning for each individual configuration. For practical hunting applications, a "happy medium" may be fine for most who shoot only at 20 yds or so from a stand, but I personally would never recommend this type of tuning for long range shooting or hunting of animals such as antelope where shots over 40yds can be common. Performance and KE also suffers on bows tuned less than optimal... For the best tuning of YOUR setup to YOUR style and capabilites, IMHO nothing beats group tuning at distance, and with the arrow and head that you plan to use for that individual application. When changing fletches, arrows, or heads, don't be lazy, re tune! The bow is much more forgiving of errors when correctly setup for each individual application, and altho bareshafting can tell you alot about a paper tear and how the arrow is coming out of the bow, that in itself has little to do IMHO with correct tuning procedures for an individual application with the arrow that will be used for that application.

Sort of like trying to shoot a muzzleloader with the same accuracy as a .270 Weatherby at say 200yds---yeah, the "happy medium" muzzleloader may hit the intended target, but the .270 will blow 1" groups at 200yds consistently. Both will do the job at closer distances, but the .270 will do it with much more ease and precision, and so will a bow that is properly and correctly tuned to each arrow and head configuration for each individual application.
JMHO. Pinwheel 12
Old 07-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pinwheel, I can agree with some of what you say however not everything.

Fletching has one reason for being on the end of your arrow. To put drag on you arrow to help it fly staight. The staighter I can get it to fly without fletching the better IMHO. I want my fletching to work the least amount it has to. I don't think tuning stops there however. I think its very important to tune your broadheads also.
I think it's also a good idea to shoot through a chronograph to see the differance in speed before and after tuning. It's just another tool to use and not the only thing you should do. IMHO
Old 07-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

KyBH,

Last time I checked, I'm not a multi millionaire so I'm certainly not smart.
Not near as smart as Ol' Pinwheel even.
Sorry, couldn't help myself when I called you an Eastern Ky hillbilly.
Just razzing you a bit and in one of my moods.
You took it pretty well though, to your credit.
Had a feeling you were actually from Western Ky.
Eastern Ky. hillbillies don't think of an arrow as a bare shaft. LOL
None of the professional archers that I have met or talked with bare shaft tune.
Traditional shooters like Arthur seem to see more value in bare shaft tuning compared to compound shooters in my experience.
I go along with what Pinwheel said about tuning your arrows to your bow.
Always the way I've done it and will continue to.
Pinwheel is a former world champion and that gives him all the credit he needs to make this call, imo.
As far as me owning the best bows...
Yep, no doubt, I sure do.
I drive Toyota trucks and ride Honda motorcycles, in case you're wondering.
Would love to own a Honda Valkyrie Rune!

Sag.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sag, I'm for sure not a pro thats for sure. Just try to pull the odds in my favor so I do what I can. I've been bow hunting for 22 years now and learn something new every year. Should have known better than to change the mind of one of those thick skulled Kentucky boys. I bet you even like the Cardinals rather than the Wildcats.

P.S. Chevy trucks all the way.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

KyBH,

Of course, I'm for the Cardinals.
They're from Louisville just like me.
Sure glad we got your former coach too.
We love Rick Pitino as much as you guys used to.
We know you guys wish Rick was still your coach but we're not giving him back.
I admit, I do pull for the Wildcats when they play anyone else.

Sag.

Quick Reply: Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.