Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string too long?

Old 07-02-2004, 05:56 PM

Default string too long?

hey, guys. i have a question...i have a buddy that recently had his string replaced. the string was one inch longer than what the bow's spec calls for. he didn't realize that it was an inch too long until he checked over the bow more closely when he got home from the pro shop...so, he asked me what kinds of problems this might cause. i really didn't know. so, i'm asking you guys. what kinds of problems WOULD that cause? being only one inch longer than spec, would that really cause any problems? what would that do to his cables being that they are the right lengths? how much will his bow's performance suffer? and should he even shoot it this way? any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-03-2004, 06:40 AM

Default RE: string too long?

how did he realize it was to long by the draw length or by measuring it? you can check the cable and string length on the bow with a soft sided measuring tape that is used for sewing it works great.Did he have the cable checked also.Or did he measure the brace height to see if it was in spec. and the axle to axle another way to tell if the cable or string has stretched.
if its a inch to long that can effect the timing of the bow,its effiency,its draw length and the poundage and a safe arrow clearence off the rest itself.
if they both have not been replaced in a while check the cable length also.
i would take it back to the shop and have him set it up to were your brace height is suppose to be and your a/a.but if you are sure the string length is to long and not the cable i would have him replace the string with the right one.a inch is way to much to me to have to twist and make up but for some it may not be.
then before you leave make sure it is right. thats usually what a good bow shop will do anyway.
definetly get it checked because it will affect alot on the performance of the bow and you as the archer.