Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Almost time to Refletch Axis

Old 07-02-2004, 11:55 AM

Default Almost time to Refletch Axis

Well, enough pass throughs on the target mean it's almost time to start refletching my 340's.

I checked with dealer, they originally fleteched with Fletch Tite Platinum. From reviews here, I think I'll stick with that as an adhesive.

I also asked how they strip old adhesive, and they say careful scraping and then clean up with acetone or denatured alcohol. Anyone got any further comments on that?

Finally, I know when fletching new carbons, you're supposed to rough up the area first...but if the arrows have been fletched once, do you still have to do that?

Now I just need to decide which Arizona I'm getting ... straight (1 deg) or right hel. I will be fletching with vanes...or possibly quick spins (once I see more reviews here). I'm shooting fixed 100 gr. Rocky Titaniums.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Almost time to Refletch Axis

get yourself a bitzenberger jig and use arrow wraps. sure make things easy, not scraping or anything with the wraps.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

cut off most of the old vane.. still leaving the base of the vane attached.. then soak the tail end in some acetone for 10-15 min... this will eat/disolve the glue and then you can just wipe them clean and refletch w/ no damage to the shafts.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: KBacon

cut off most of the old vane.. still leaving the base of the vane attached.. then soak the tail end in some acetone for 10-15 min... this will eat/disolve the glue and then you can just wipe them clean and refletch w/ no damage to the shafts.
Are you sure the acetone won't eventually break down the glue that holds the carbon fibers together? I have heard that can happen.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Carphunter

Well, enough pass throughs on the target mean it's almost time to start refletching my 340's.

I checked with dealer, they originally fleteched with Fletch Tite Platinum. From reviews here, I think I'll stick with that as an adhesive.

I also asked how they strip old adhesive, and they say careful scraping and then clean up with acetone or denatured alcohol. Anyone got any further comments on that?

Finally, I know when fletching new carbons, you're supposed to rough up the area first...but if the arrows have been fletched once, do you still have to do that?

Now I just need to decide which Arizona I'm getting ... straight (1 deg) or right hel. I will be fletching with vanes...or possibly quick spins (once I see more reviews here). I'm shooting fixed 100 gr. Rocky Titaniums.
I like the right helical Arizona, but you need a drop away rest to shoot them. I also shoot the Axis with NAP QS vanes and arrow wraps. Wraps are the only way to go IMO. Some real hot water and the wraps and everything peel away. Oh yeah, the Quick Spins are excellent. Just try some and see!!