Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String and cable stretch?

Old 07-01-2004, 01:14 PM

Default String and cable stretch?

Well I think my string or cable has finally started to stretch a little on my Justice.I noticed the tuning mark on my cam looks like it has a little wider gap under my bottom limb and it feels like I lost a little weight but the weight issue could just be me because I have been shooting so much and building my shooting muscles.Anyway do I just twist the cable to get the cam back in its position or should i twist the string too?Also if you twist the string and cable do you put the same amount of twist in each one?My string looks fine but my cable is showing some wear in the cable slide area.Could this wear be weakening the cable?I plan on having my dealer order me a new cable around the 1st of August so I wont have any problems during bow season and will have plenty of time to shoot it in before season opens.I am either gonna order bowtechs factory cable for the justice but I have been hearing and reading alot about the winners choice with the x coat in the cable slide area does this reduce cable wear alot?I was also wondering if anyone has ever tryed serving their cable and string in the areas where they run through the cable slide?Anyway I just thought this would be the best place to get help on this subject.Thanks!
Old 07-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String and cable stretch?

As long as yoour peep is rotating correctly, I would only mess with the cable. A twist or two should do the trick.

As for the WC w/ X-coat yes they do help on some bows, but they also "drag" through the slide sometimes too causing abnormal wear on the X-coat. Usually it's symptom of a cable slide that is not smooth enough in the grooves. I would try getting ahold of Hicks "tournament" slide (white one) and the just order which cable you prefer.

Serving the cable where it runs through the slide is a bad idea as serving material is not smooth enough...it will catch and drag and tear your slide and serving/cable up. The only way that will work is on the Mathews roller guard style bows.