Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Am I thinking too much?

Old 02-23-2002, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Am I thinking too much?

I was wondering, when you measure for nocking point, how are you supposed to do it? If you use a two prong style rest, the arrow is cradled between the prongs. This means that the actual bottom of the arrow is below the tip of the prongs.

Are you supposed to lay the square on the tips of the prongs, or compensate a tad for this?

Just something I thought about today.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Am I thinking too much?

muzzyman,
I am sure there are going to be mixed answers on methods for finding a nocking point, but here is what we ( myself and everyone at the pro shop) do.
You generally want the arrow to lie even with the plunger hole. This is the threaded hole that the arrow rest screws into. We find a nocking point that is directly inline with this hole. In other words, 90 degrees from the string to the plunger hole. Sometimes we go a little higher such as 1/4" high, etc. Whatever usually works for you. We then proceed to tie a nocking point. I then proceed to shoot through paper and obtain a bullet hole. This whole procedure doesn't take long at all. The guys at the shop are fast, and it takes them a mere 5 minutes. I am no expert, but I will say that I have been able to paper tune my bow (CyberTec, single cam) with different nocking points. In other words, I have shot with a square nocking point and a slightly high nocking point at around 1/4" nock high. Experiment around a little, or get a pro shop to help out.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:54 PM
8PT

The way I do it makes it very easy and repeatable for me. I took a short 3" or so length of scrap aluminum shaft and split one side lengthways with a hacksaw. I then slide it over the lower edge of my bowsquare blade. This lays on the rest just like a shaft would and then I usually start by tying in a nockset about 1/8' to 3/16" above square and nock my arrow above that. It usually takes very little adjustment from that point to start getting bullet holes on the paper tear. Hope this make sense.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

8pt, thats a really good idea. It just came to me that my pro shop's squares are like that. Ha, learn something new every day.