Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which rest is better conventional or drop-away

Old 06-29-2004, 11:13 PM

Default Which rest is better conventional or drop-away

Ok here is the debate!! is a drop away a proven better rest,or is it all thoery? A pro shop owner today said he has went threw 7 dropaways and still nothing is better than the stationary rest? which he said was proven?? does the convetional still rule the roost?or are we just all sprung on the latest toy hype as usual,,,, like remember the overdraw craz............. any info would help let me have it..[8D]
Old 06-29-2004, 11:32 PM

Default RE: Which rest is better conventional or drop-away

I have bought 2 dropaway's and was not impressed with either one
that much. I am back to a standard rest now for 3D and hunting.
My friend did the same thing and got the same results. If I was going
to use one it would be the MZE.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a trophy ridge drop zone and I like it. I have not had any problems with it at all. It has saved me a few times with its self centering action it has when you draw. Any other rest I would have had to let my draw back down to put my arrow back on the rest. Other than that I would not say its proven any better than the stationary rest I have allways used. This is the only rest I have had on this bow also.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

For me the drop away is the superior rest.

I don't have to worry about my arrow falling off of the prongs as the arms now cradle the arrow. I don't have to worry about fletching contact even if I nock the arrow backwards. I can now shoot a helical fletched arrow where as before all I could use was a slight offset. I don't have to be constantly replacing the hush tubes on the prongs due to wear.

........which he said was proven??
You know that statement really urks the heck out of me. Exactly what does that mean any way. Something has been around a long time??? Whoopty doo. His "proven" stationary pronged rest at one time was the latest and greatest thing to the sport of archery and like all latest and greatest things it evolves and there is always someone out there criticizing it because it isn't "proven".[:@][:'(]

Dang, if we all stuck to what has been "proven" he wouldn't be shooting his 2004 bowtech, Hoyt with the cam & .5, his mathews or what ever. Cause in the big scheme of bow hunting compounds are in their infancy and there is a new "UNproven" bow out every year by just about every manufacturer.

The next time he tells you he doesn't like something because it isn't "proven" ask him where's his horse and buggy.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:04 AM

If you are shooting big, fat Lincoln Log arrows, there probably aren't a whole lot of advantages to using a dropaway rest. However, if you shoot skinnier arrows with helical or offset fletching, a dropaway rest is clearly superior. Fletching contact is the the biggest tuning issue with skinny arrows, and a good dropaway that is properly installed will totally eliminate any chance of it.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Took me a LONG time to warm-up to drop-aways (same with string loops, and single-cam bows). Some are better than others (or work better on some bows than others). But when they are working correctly, they are tough to beat...great arrow flight with full helical on skinny carbons...great hunting set-up.

Sometimes though it takes a great deal of tinkering/experimentation to get them set-up correctly..and can be very frustrating...but the results are worth it.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:55 AM

Sometimes though it takes a great deal of tinkering/experimentation to get them set-up correctly..and can be very frustrating...but the results are worth it.
Ditto.....Ditto........Ditto
Old 06-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

Ditto.....Ditto........Ditto

See the TT thread further down the page, Chuck. The TT tech had some good info over on AT.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:00 PM

When looking for a new rest go with the GKF TKO or the Infinity. If you decide that drop aways does not do anything for you then both of the rest can be converted back to the TM hunter style prong rest. This way you can try the drop away ( which in my opinion is the best way to go these days) or go back to the convention type rest.

EB
Old 06-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are shooting big, fat Lincoln Log arrows, there probably aren't a whole lot of advantages to using a dropaway rest. However, if you shoot skinnier arrows with helical or offset fletching, a dropaway rest is clearly superior. Fletching contact is the the biggest tuning issue with skinny arrows, and a good dropaway that is properly installed will totally eliminate any chance of it.

Good point....and as Jeff pointed out there are some definite advantages to drop aways though they do require more tinkering, in my opinion, than a typical prong rest.

Personally, I am still looking for a drop away to fall in love with. Out of all of them I still like the size and design of the Trapdoor the best (no linkages) though its reliability leaves something to be desired.

Conventional rests on both of my bows. Heck, I might even try a B2 Biscuit this year.

Quick Reply: Which rest is better conventional or drop-away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.