Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How long is to long?

Old 06-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default How long is to long?

I just went down to the archery shop yesterday to get my draw length checked. He said I need a 28 inch arrow. When I pull an arrow back with a broadhead there has got to be 3 inches or more till you get to the rest.
He said I don't want to go any shorter. I remember when I first got a bow at another shop they put my broadhead a half-inch from the rest. What do you all think.
Should I cut them or leave them be?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2004, 09:39 PM

Default RE: How long is to long?

I prefer my arrows to be 3/4" to 1" past the furthest point of the rest.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:09 PM

I agree with swap dawg....
a longer heavier arrow will be easier to tune but with such a short draw length?????
Old 06-30-2004, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

3" past the prongs is way too much. It's unnecessary and uncalled for for a shop to warrant that advice. Sounds like somebody didn't feel like cutting arrows....[:@]
Old 06-30-2004, 05:44 AM

I've never cared where the rest is in relation to the broadhead. I always want the broadhead towards to end of the arrow shelf. I've always been less than trusting of a broadhead equipped arrow that is behind my grip hand.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

I've never cared where the rest is in relation to the broadhead. I always want the broadhead towards to end of the arrow shelf. I've always been less than trusting of a broadhead equipped arrow that is behind my grip hand.
Agreed (assuming a fixed blade head). Also it depends on arrow spine for me. If my X spine arrows shoot better at 29" cut length, then I could care less if they go past the rest 2 or 3".
Old 06-30-2004, 07:05 AM

What type of rest are you shooting? My arrows are a little longer than I like but they need to be because I shoot a drop away. If they weren't as long as they are they would hit the shelf prior the the rest elevating all the way up. Could this be why the suggested a longer arrow?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a tm hunter 2 prong style. Sometimes they tick me off when I go in that shop. They act like it is a problem to worl on stuff. I am thinking about getting some equipment and doing it myself.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Swamp Dawg

I prefer my arrows to be 3/4" to 1" past the furthest point of the rest.
DITTO- thats all you need!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:13 AM

I am thinking about getting some equipment and doing it myself.
I'm sure you'll find it much more rewarding to do your own work.

Quick Reply: How long is to long?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.