Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mirage Drop-away

Old 06-29-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Mirage Drop-away

Got back into bowhunting earlier this summer via a new Matthews LX. I installed a Mirage Drop-away and really like it. Very stable and easy to use and my groups are unbelievably tight. What I have noticed is a pretty loud click when the drop-away snaps down. There is a small pad, but it is not enough. I tried some moleskin but it was not much help. Suggestions?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mirage Drop-away

yes usa a piece of the closed cell foam padding in between the rest and the bow shelf this will reduc a lot of the noise.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:30 PM

The click is coming from the rest, when the arm that holds the arrow up hits the actual rest. Closed cell might work, if I can get a small enough piece to glue to the rest.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a small piece cut from a mouse pad!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can also try putting a piece of rubber peep tubing over the whole pick-up arm. I did this with mine and it seemed to work well. I sent the rest to 5shot for review. I forget whether or not he posted the review of it yet.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tubing over my pic-up arm....it still needs much more IMO....that thing is loud! I traded it to a buddy for another QT3000....I may attempt to build my very own version of the QT 4000.....if I ever get the time, patience and desire!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

To be honest with you Jason, I could never totally get the clicking out of my rest either though one of the customers rests sounded much quieter and he had nothing on the arm whatsoever. I wonder if it is a quality control issue.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if it is a quality control issue.
Could be. My friend has the same rest on his bow right now and wanted another for another outfit he has....his has been quieter from day one than mine was.....I'm not at all upset about getting rid of it. I've noticed my pick up arm is much farther towards the riser than his(alum. cradle is in turn farther from the riser) and some other minor things, but all in all I think one could/should buy a much better rest.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

I agree that the quality of the mirage could be better, but I really like the overall concept and how well the rest centers and raises the arrow.

I have jumped through some hoops to quiet down my rest and believe I have done a pretty good job. Here, in no particular order are the things I did to make it quieter.

Foam wether stripping between the arrow cup and the arrow shelf on the bow. (Took out about 70% of the noise)
Small piece of limbsaver material glued on the arrow cup where the launcher wire contacts.
Heat shrink tubing over the launcher wire with a thin layer of plumbers teflon tape wrapped around it (Deadly quiet on draw regardless of what type of arrow you use)
A couple of wraps of teflon tape around the launcher wire where it passes through the holes in the arrow cup. It acts as a bushing on the wire and takes out a bit of the click when the bow is fired.

I really wish that GKF would redesign the rest to address some of the problems encountered by it's users. With some small design improvements, I don't think you could beat a Mirage as a hunting rest.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used a cut from a SVL Mini Limb Saver and used that as a stop pad (super glue it on). It worked great. I also placed mini LS's on both sides of the rest and wrapped the wire arm in fleece. This is a rest that really isn't the best out there these days BUT with a little bit of custom work it can indeed be a good rest.

Quick Reply: Mirage Drop-away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.