Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MATHEW VS BOWTECH

Old 06-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: MATHEW VS BOWTECH

I also think that either would be a good choice. You are getting a bit more speed and KE with the Outback but the draw is a little stiffer, it has a shorter valley and weighs a little more. The Liberty is a bit lighter with a smoother draw but is not as fast.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:00 PM
c j
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: pdq 5oh

They are both good bows, and will get the job done. The grips are very different, the Outback being somewhat fat, and the Liberty very slim. There is much more adjustability in the Liberty cam. Draw length, let off, and valley are all adjustable. The Outback has a very narrow valley (nearly nonexistent). It is also a little faster, though a pound or so heavier. I'd expect the decision will come down to what you like better after shooting them both. Either bow would be a very good choice for a hunting bow. For what it's worth, (I know, not much [&:]) I'll be hunting with a Liberty this fall.
Ditto. I shot the Outback several times, thought it was great each time. When I shot it head-to-head with the Liberty, though, I liked the Liberty better. To me, it was smoother, quieter, and just felt better. Better strings, too.

Either way, though, you really can't go wrong. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 PM

Gentlemen,

I am new to this forum, but for what its worth I did a decision matrix using a number of courses of action (different bows) comparing them using a number of criterea such as speed, price, forgiveness rating, AtA length, weight, brace height, etc. The Mighty Mite won out BIG TIME over the Patriot, Justice, the Buckmasters G2 and the Matthews Outback.

I have not finished shooting these bows to add that into the mix, however the decision matrix I used is designed to take emotion out of the equation. Again, it wasn't even close.

Having said all of that, I am not sure I will get the MM as I haven't shot it yet. But if I believe the reports I am getting from friends and other bowhunters, they maintain I will love it. No negative reports yet.

Hope this helps, I guess all of your tax dollars on my Army training didn't go to waste!
Old 07-01-2004, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cavguy

Gentlemen,

I am new to this forum..
Welcome aboard!

I guess all of your tax dollars on my Army training didn't go to waste!
Thank you for serving! I gather by your "handle" you are a Tank Jockey?
Old 07-01-2004, 05:32 AM

however the decision matrix I used is designed to take emotion out of the equation.
That's good info for the analytical types, however bow buying tends to be a very emotional thing. The people I see getting new bows, seem to always use very subjective criteria like, feel of grip, eye appeal, weight (both heavy and light being preferred), camo pattern, their best friend shoots one, a popular pro is winning with one, an advertisement convinced them it's the best, the waranty was better, the service was better, their favorite shop carries it (maybe the best reason), they have an emotional attachment to a particular company or even that it was recommended on a forum. On the other hand, I have never seen anyone write down every stat concerning each bow and pick the one that looked better on paper. Bow buying is a lot like car buying. It's a very emotional thing for most people, so there is no one bow or bow brand that will appeal to all.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am new to this forum,
Nice to make your acquaintance. Ofcourse, I agree with your analytical matrix as I am currently shooting a Mighty Mite as my hunting bow.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:36 AM

Thank you all for your warm welcome! I was "Light Cavalry", the 2d ACR, now I teach Leadership and Decision making in the Army Reserves.

I should have pointed out that the decision matrix is just a tool for lots of different decisions. The "feel" and look of a bow are important too, just like a car. Which is why I haven't completed my purchase either! I haven't had a chance to shoot each of the bows a couple of times.

However there is one unintended benefit I have found for the decision matrix. I can take my "data" to my wife and show her all of the homework I have done and how whatever I decide on is a great buy!

I will close for now with this comment. I was surprised that the MM "won out" by so convincing a margin on the analytic part of the decision. I took great pains to use as independent of data as I could get and then checked it against manufacturers web sites. That way everybody's lies were compared against each other (IBO speed, etc).

It is my guess that once you are talking about the higher dollar bows, ALL of them shoot fast and sweet. As my momma said, "You get what you pay for"; well she didn't really say that all that often, but I heard it somewhere. Maybe it was that strip club outside Ft. Benning.... oh well, you get the point.

Sorry about being long winded, we are about to move to the Northwest from Texas and I am getting antsy waiting for hunting season. [:@]
Old 07-01-2004, 10:34 AM

Glad you joined us You're moving in the right direction,,, BowTech's factory is in Oregon so maybe you can take a tour of the pro shop and factory there and really get the low down on the show down Good luck with your move!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it comes down to... Which is better a Mustang or a Camero? It's pretty much which one you like the best. That said I'm a Camero and Mathews guy.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:51 AM

Welcome aboard Cavguy. I don't know which part of the NW you are moving to, but let me just say that Oregon has everything an outdoorsman could want, including some terriffic hunting. In no particular order for archery opportunities we have: Rocky Mtn and Roosevelt Elk, Whitetail, mule, and blacktail deer, pronghorn, cougars (lots), bears (lots and lots). And that is just the big game. The seasons are generous and the terrain goes from temperate rain forrest to high dessert, with all things in between. Washington is about the same, just a bit further north. Have a great move!!!!

JMAC

Quick Reply: MATHEW VS BOWTECH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.