Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

d-i-y arrow spinner

Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 AM

Default RE: d-i-y arrow spinner

Nice looking spinner. One question. If the distance between 2 points is a straight line, why would the tolerances need to be so tight? Seems like if your arrow was straight, even .003 is pretty good for this purpose, you are going to get good, even rotation. I do like the cabinet roller one though.

JMAC
Old 07-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

jmac, your talking about the tolerances on the spinner correct, not the arrow.

If so, I am with you.

I don't know if a shoe box is going to give a very good indication of exact arrow spin, and I don't think that I at least have a need for a $35 spinner with extreme tolerances.

The one that I made, would be kind of in the middle. It's good enough for what I am checking.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got one similar to Bob's, but I replaced the rollers with skateboard bearings. (My kid's got so many bearings he never missed 'em.)
Old 07-28-2004, 02:18 PM

Yes, I meant the tolerances on the spinner. I mean, cut two notches, use bearings, whatever. As long as you can roll it without lateral movement of the arrow, you will see wobble. I do still like the cabinet rollers though, as rolling fast makes it easier to see the wobble.
JMAC
Old 08-04-2004, 12:59 PM

DIY Tuning Tools:

I thought y'all might be interested in seeing some of my home-made bow tuning tools. So I made a collage of two of them. The pictures show my arrow spinner, and paper tuning rack. I made the arrow spinner out of a 1/2" piece of plywood I had laying around and Drawer Guide rollers from Lowes. Very cheap to make, and works very well to tune broadheads to shaft for straightness. The Paper tuning rack is made from 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings. I use spring clamps to attach the paper to the rack. Self explanatory. Also very cheap to make. I will admit I don't use the paper tuning rack, unless I have a problem I can't figure out by other means, LOL. I hope y'all enjoy these, and take it upon yourself to make your own tools when you can. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown