Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Try this to sharpen Rocket Pathfinder points

Old 06-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Try this to sharpen Rocket Pathfinder points

Awhile back someone posted their tecnique on sharpening the pathfinder tips, involved using the tip of a marker somehow, can't remember for sure.

Anyway, I just tried something that worked really really well. I suspect it will work for any chisel style chip that has a curve to it.

For the pathfinder, I took a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper, a section of double stick tape, and a yellow highlighter marker. Color probably doesn't matter, but it's the one I had.

The trick is to find a cylindrical object whose's circumference matches up well to the curve of the tip. The highlighter I have is made by stanford, but really anything else that does what I described will work.

I took a section of the double stick tape, about a 1.5" x 2" rectangle, and put in on the back side of the sandpaper, near a corner to conserve the bulk of the sheet, cause well, I'm frugal (shut up Todd) I then cut the sandpaper around the tape border, and removed the covering to expose the other sticky side. I placed this on my desk, sticky side up, and carefully placed the marker on it lengthwise, then rolled back and forth to stick it to it.

Once ready, I simply ran the marker back and forth several times in each of the three concave cutouts of the pathfinder tip. I had noticed several burs and the tip was a bit dull with a burr off to one side. Came from Rocket like this. I was gonna remove the blades as a safety factor, but I remembered they were Rockets so I was worrying about nothing and simply deployed them and let them swing out of the way.

After I was done, the tip was very sharp needle sharp. The three cutting edges were also plenty sharp for the intended purpose, much improved over stock condition.

5 more to go... Try it, you'll like it Best thing is I scrounged up all the materials so I didn't have to spend a penny
Old 06-25-2004, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Try this to sharpen Rocket Pathfinder points

Great tip, Range. Thanks. I like to sharpen my Muzzy's, but I just use a flat stone and put a nice edge on that way. I may have to try the marker trick though. For what it's worth, you need to have a cylinder of the same or greater diameter than the diameter of the concave....otherwise you'll end up just hitting a tangent point inside the radius and never actually sharpen anything....or at least not all of the surface you want to hit.

and a yellow highlighter marker. Color probably doesn't matter, but it's the one I had.
Color is very important.....who want to shrpen their broadheads with a pink hi-lighter?

I remembered they were Rockets so I was worrying about nothing and simply deployed them and let them swing out of the way.
I don't shoot any Rocket heads, but you'd think with as many complaints as I hear about sharpness issues they'd do something about it.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball
I was gonna remove the blades as a safety factor, but I remembered they were Rockets ....

Sad, but true.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what it's worth, you need to have a cylinder of the same or greater diameter than the diameter of the concave....otherwise you'll end up just hitting a tangent point inside the radius and never actually sharpen anything....
Jason, good point, worth repeating from my above post, especially since I wasn't as eloquent as you

The trick is to find a cylindrical object whose's circumference matches up well to the curve of the tip.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I'm an engineer and deal with people all of the time that wouldn't be able to grasp that simple concept. I sometimes forget who I'm explaining the obvious too....I'm sure the fine folks at HNI didn't really need an all-out picture drawn!! At least not twice!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:52 AM

Good Tip Range - just make sure of one thing.

File the point so it is centered - if it not it will wobble when spun - then it impossible to tell if its just an offset tip or an alignment problem.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I remembered they were Rockets so I was worrying about nothing and simply deployed them and let them swing out of the way.
Hey now, dem's fightin' words. Every Rocket user knows that they come that way as a safety precaution so us clumsy archers don't cut our fingers. You are supposed to sharpen them prior to using them to hunt.

If you believe that then I have this bridge on the East coast......

Old 06-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are supposed to sharpen them prior to using them to hunt.
Anyone got any good tips on how to easily accomplish this?

I'm flinging the titanium meteorites, blades are .05, so they have some beef that could hold a fine edge
Old 06-28-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone got any good tips on how to easily accomplish this?
Anyone?

Don't Make me start a new thread...
Old 06-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they're straight blades(not 'L' shaped) could you clamp them in a Lansky and sharpen them that way?

Quick Reply: Try this to sharpen Rocket Pathfinder points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.