Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Try this to sharpen Rocket Pathfinder points

Old 06-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Try this to sharpen Rocket Pathfinder points

I plan on trying that, but based on past experience with a Lansky and small thin bladed pocket knifes, I'm hoping someone offers a plan B
Old 06-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

Anyone got any good tips on how to easily accomplish this?
Anyone?

Don't Make me start a new thread...
\
Good luck ...try something like an Accusharp or one of those Bear sharpeners..sometimes you get lucky with one of those..

I've never been able to get a Rocket blade sharp enough for my tastes...and thats the reason I've been shying away from them in the past year or so...they shoot great and open quick, but I hate dull blades...HATE dull blades....
Old 06-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been able to get a Rocket blade sharp enough for my tastes
Jeff, do you feel the issue is the quality/type of steel they use for blades, their small size doesn't lend them to easy sharpening techniques, a combination or something else?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball
Jeff, do you feel the issue is the quality/type of steel they use for blades, their small size doesn't lend them to easy sharpening techniques, a combination or something else?
I think it's just they don't use quality finishing techniques (or possibly cheaper materials)...The other broadhead manufacturers go to great pains to get their blades so sharp (NAP, WASP, Magnus, & RM in particular).My personal opinion is just that Rocket skimps on blade sharpness in order to keep costs down...thats why the Rockets are usually the least expensive alternative when you browse through a catalog. Rocky Mountain uses a very short blade on that one mech they have (forget the name) and it's extremely sharp! And Sidewinders and other Rockets with longer blades are no sharper than the Steelheads. Hell, the cheap gametracker mechs are sharper.

Are they sharp enough? I suppose so...I've killed deer with them and had incredible blood trails once the animal "opened up" (steelhead entry wounds IME are very small) But that is not their strong suit..accuracy and penetration are. I don't mind the bent blades people complain about..I'd rather have bent blades than broken ones.

I'm probably going fixed blades this year because of my choice in bows (lower KE than I like to have for mechs), but when/if I do back to mechs, I'm looking elsewhere...NAP Shockwaves are just as tough and less expensive than Sidewinders and they are scary sharp.