Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Frustration, Confusion, and Poor Groups.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Frustration, Confusion, and Poor Groups.

Ok, so yesterday was Father's Day and being that my dad and I hadn't planned anything to do I suggested we head out to our property and shoot the bows. Bear season opens August 1st and we both need to start getting our bows tuned. I started off at 20 yards like always, I bring my groups into the size of a pop can and call that good for now.

Then the problems started. I move back to 30 to try and get that pin set and no matter what I do I can't pull my arrows together. I shoot five at a time, and none will hit, or beter yet miss, consistently. I had one arrow center but 4" right. Another was center but 3" to the left. Another was center but about 2" high. Another was low and to the left. And the last was only about an inch away from dead center. I couldn't figure it out, I moved the sight all around, nothing. I moved it in, nothing. Out. Nothing. Up, nothing. Down, nothing. Sure, the arrows moved, but still wouldn't miss consistenly. They just wouldn't group. I moved my kisser button thinking that maybe moving my anchor point might correct the problem, wrong. Ok, I decide to try moving the peep. Again to no avail.

Anyone know what the problem might be? Cheap arrows perhaps? I'm shooting Goldtip Hunters, graphite arrows. I've heard of people having problems with them before, but up until yesterday they were shooting perfectly fine. Was it just an off day? I really need to correct this problem, and soon. If it's the arrows, I need to buy new ones. if it's me, maybe I need a break.

What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Frustration, Confusion, and Poor Groups.

Sounds like operator error. I'd chalk it up to an off day.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:13 PM

have you paper tuned the bow already,what kind of rest do you use--are you fighting a little target panic perhaps---what about tourqing the bow---make sure your bow hand is the same each time and follow through is good. the xts are a good shaft and should shot well as long as they are spined right for your set up.has it been a while since you shot your bow? if so it could be you are out of time---either string stretch or cable stretch which in turn will change your draw length.which in turn changes your brace height--check to see if it is right. just a few suggestions if you have not shot in a while give yourself a little time to get back in the groove.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like operator error. I'd chalk it up to an off day.

I'll second that! Even with tuning problems there should be some consistancy with your groups. We've all had days where we would have been less humbled if we had stayed at home and crochet'd a throw rug rather than shoot our bows.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think Goldtip is right on the money with this one ,these were my exact feeling's . First I'd start with watching how I setup with every shot ,you might need for someone to watch you while you do this .Stay at the 20yrd range till your comfortable that your shooting perfect and that you setup the same every time you shoot {This is the most important step } then move to 30yrds.Watch how you draw,watch how you grip, it's easy to forget this step. If your head is not straight up and is in a back position you might have as Goldtip said a stretched string and you are compinsating with your whole upper body to make sure you get into full draw.When you hit that wall your body should be in a straight up position not a backward lean. Turn your body so that your almost facing the target and spread your leg's to the width of your shoulder's and make absolutely sure that your elbow has a slight bend and remember your grip make it so that the bow is resting do not grab the grip this is where the torqueing comes in .If this doesn't work you might need to service your bow.But you have all the symptom's of the way I started my season off, it took me a while to get in the groove of shooting and getting used to a new bow ,but now I'm right on track.Good luck and hope there's no need to service your bow ,but I feel it's just something simple that your doing wrong .Let us know how you make out.

nubo