Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning issue

Old 06-21-2004, 01:31 AM

Default Tuning issue

Hi

I've just bought a new bow last saturday and I'm trying to tune it.
I began with a bare shaft tuning to adjust my nocking point and my rest position.
The arrow flight is good with the field points (I group in 3 inches at 22 yards)
Everyting seems to be OK but I still have a problems while shooting broadheads.
The broadheads group is good also (4inch diam) but at best arround 6 inches under the field group.
It tried to lower the nocking point but the thing went worse, it is actually at 1/8 above the rest
I checked the clearance and the arrows : OK

Any suggestion?

My stuff:
Hoyt Ultramag set at 68#
Whisker biscuit B1 QS
No Peep
Easton C2 realtree 340 cut at 29''
Thunderheads 125 grains

regards

Yves.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tuning issue

Try marking all of your arrows to rule out the bad ones--if the same arrows are getting away from you then you need to tune the arrows if you can otherwise if it's not the same ones flying wild it's you torque the grip or not anchoring the same each time.You can try the same with field points to check which arrows consistently fly better for you.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) ensure your arrow spine is adequate for broadheads...if you are borderline spined, broadheads often wont group but field points will. IMO, you are very close to borderline underspine if you have a 29" or longer draw length. Cam and half bows like a stiff arrow for broadheads. Try going to a 100 grain point or dropping bow weight and see what happens.

2) Invest in an arrow spinner/straightener and make sure that all your broadheads & nocks are spinning absolutely straight.

That is where I would start.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

C'mon jeffb, i didn't give bad advice it just wasn't real good advice.Try what JEFFB said and if that doesn't fix it then do what i suggested--hell,i could be right?or not?Oh well,i tried[&o]
Old 06-22-2004, 12:50 AM

Thanks,
I will double check my arrows.
The problem is that I can't go to ligther broadheads as the minimum legal weight here is 470 grains .
I've just bought a dozen of C2/realtree 340, I hope they will work.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:17 PM

I worked a couple of hours this evening on the tuning of my Ultramag, the problem seems to be more complicated than expected. This time I tried paper tuning without any sucess so at the end my last solution was to switch my WB to my old QT800...and the miracle occured : perfect tear !!
The proble come apperently from the wisker biscuit, the fletching is to much disturbed to obtain a good flight
Any Idea on what to do ? perhaps burn the WB

Old 06-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

HOLY CRAP BATMAN! [:-]

I can't ever remember seeing tears that big.

You should post this pic over in the WB thread

I don't know enough about the WB to give you any kind of answer why it may be doing that, but I damn sure know what rest I'd be using after seeing that pic!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:49 PM

I agree........holy !@#$ I have never gotten tears that bad with any rest........much less my WB's !! []

Your still getting low tears and they seem to have changed from right to left .........although not as pronouced !!

Are you just eyeballing each set up ? Do you have them both set to the same center shot ? Which model WB do you have .....original,droptine, or deluxe ?

If you try the WB again ........lower it some and try going to the right a little ..........check it !! If it gets worse go to the left ! Once close.....with either rest........I'd start group tuning and then shooting broadheads !!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:30 AM

The model I use ise a droptine QS first generation (full black hair)
Is the blond hairred B2 better?
I'm wondering if the vanes I use are really compatible with the WB
Old 06-23-2004, 01:59 AM

my last solution was to switch my WB to my old QT800...and the miracle occured : perfect tear !! The problem came apparently from the wisker biscuit, the fletching is to much disturbed to obtain a good flight Any Idea on what to do ? perhaps burn the WB
Sorry, letub. It's an inside "WB" joke not directed at you.

Quick Reply: Tuning issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.