Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning issue

Old 06-23-2004, 11:30 AM

Default RE: Tuning issue

C903 ,I won't say they " don't" exist ........cause I know better !!

But I will say IME that with a WB the opposite of what your talking about usually happens ! At close ranges poor arrow flight and torque issues are corrected coming off the bow ! The WB forces the arrow to temporarily come off clean and give a perfect hole ! Typically this gives you a " false" tune instead of 5" paper tear !

I think he has something else going on !!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Compared to the other tears he got with the WB, I'd say it's a vast improvement.
That goes without saying!!![8D]
Old 06-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Second from the left of the QT800 tears looks pretty dang close to a bullet hole to me...

but what do I know, I can't see for nothin' [&o]

EDIT>.not sure...that top rip could be the vane or the point..hard to tell
Old 06-23-2004, 02:49 PM

CBM SC:

"The WB forces the arrow to temporarily come off clean and give a perfect hole."

I have previously read that claim. If the "WB" rest were capable of doing such, I would tend to believe that it could only occur if the problem with the exit of the shaft is minor. However, I am wondering to what degree can the rest possibly increase a flight problem when the shaft's exit problem is not minor.

One thing I know for sure, it would be beneficial to any person using a "WB" to know what tuning or design aspect put those shafts in that flight-attitude so the user can be damn sure that they avoid the cause. When I visualize a winged broadhead on a shaft that that has planed/deviated as indicated, I shudder to think that someone might be using the rest while shooting in their backyard in a populated area.

Reminds me of the time my release fired too soon and I sent a fieldpoint mounted shaft 2 blocks away, into a residential street. Scared the hell out me and I no longer shoot in the area I used to.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:23 PM

Nice discussion, isn't it??

Well I spend another couple of hours this evening on the WB paper tuning....and finally burned it!
On the photo I have posted, I claimed a perfect tear for the QT800 but sure it wasn't,but it was much better than the WB
The best result I get with the WB is a 2 inches height tear
I have re-tuned the bow with the QT800 and now I've got THE perfect tear, I'm going to perform the broadhead tuning tomorrow, and I'm very confident.

Now the question is : what should I do with my WB??
I used it for 3D but it is not usable 'as-is' for hunting.
Will I get a real improvement if I switch from a B1 to a B2 disc?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:36 PM

C903, I think we're close to being on the same page !

I am with you on the broadhead tuning with that type of tear ! But I don't think it has much to do with the rest design in general !

I'm a firm believer in "what works for you" ......so Letub .....go with the QT 800 and don't look back !

What should you do with your WB ??.......get rid of it ! It obviously is not fond of your set up ! I don't think a B2 would make a bit of difference....there is something wrong here but I can't offer much more help without being there.........this is just something I have never seen out of 6 or so bows I have setup with WB rests !! Good Luck !!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:34 AM

Here is the bicture of the best tuning I can do on both QT800 and WB

The best I can do with the WB is a 2 inches tear, if I move the nock set either up or down, things go worse
Old 06-24-2004, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, thats better but...still shows a high nock point. If you can't get it any better, by changing nock point then...clearence issues, or undersplined. Have you used the dry powder spray to check for clearence? Check with the powder. You did...and clearence is ok then back off draw weight bit by bit to see if it is your spline. If you back off and see improvement then you will know. Then you can back off more if comfortable shooting less weight or buy new, stiffer arrows for the weight you were shooting. If none of this works then I'd burn it and take a pic! For us to see the flames!!!!! Good luck. Post back with findings.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:05 AM

I like Hoofers advise, except for the burning part.

If you can't get it to work, give it to someone who can. In fact, you can send it to me if you'd like. I gurarantee I can get it to work perfectly, and I'll show you the bullet holes to prove it.