Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning issue

Old 06-23-2004, 05:37 AM

Default RE: Tuning issue

letub,

One of the complaints I've heard about the wisker biscuit is that it can mask a bad tune. Some have the opinion that it shoots a good paper tear, even when out of tune. I've tuned many and have never had the problem you are seeing.

It looks like you're getting a slight low left tear from your qt800, almost opposite of the wisker biscuit. I would check to see that no vane is hitting the bottom of the biscuit, or any part of the riser after passing through.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:41 AM

Letub, I haven't used a droptine ........but it seems like it doesn't have any vertical adjustment ! You will probably have to move your nock point .......if your already an eigth above I wouldn't move it up much more ......but it couldn't hurt to try small increments !

I am not familiar with tuning the cam and a half ........but I would check the cam timing .......just to make sure things are working correctly !

On the droptine .......you can make your horizontal adjustments ! The WB seems to do best slightly left of center shot .......but with that kind of tear.....I wouldn't rule out adjusting the rest to the right some.....just to see !

The WB also prefers a stiff spined arrow ! Seems like you should be fine .....but you could always shoot a 100 grain tip to see how the tears look !
Old 06-23-2004, 05:55 AM

i am shooting droptine with b2 biscuit and just spent about 1hr paper tunning at gander mountain.i am shooting carbon express terminator hunter 60-75. nock point is just above square and center shot is good and i left with it shooting a 1/4high tail and slightly to right.the guy iwas speaking with said the wb egsagerates the the tune.so what i got was leave ther and try through paper at little farthe distance and see if sraight out. i never got tears like that even on the first shot.looks like he might also be tourqeing the bow thoses tears are terriblr
Old 06-23-2004, 06:00 AM

i shoot a hoyt magnatec at 65 with b2 biscuit and left mine alone at a tear 1/4 inch high and slightly to right.guy at gander mountain siad some bow will shoot bullet holes others will not. yours well will not evedintly. sorry its a great rest but not the one for that bow.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:05 AM

Considering that the paper-tear when using the QT800 is not yet as good as should be tends to show that there is a tune aspect that still needs to be corrected. I suspect a spine issue, but could be rest alignment, nock height, torque, etc. The paper-tear result when using the "WB" indicates that the arrow flight was so bad, it appears the arrow was trying to swap ends while in flight. There may have been some extreme contact between the arrow and the "WB" rest, or an extensive and uneven force was brought to bear on the shafts by the rest.

Although the paper is still not as good as it should be, just changing to a rest of different design appears to have drastically corrected the arrow's flight. Such extensive corrective result by just changing the rest design indicates that a "containment" rest may extremely compound a flight problem if the exit of the arrow from the bow is not clean.

The tear made by the QT800 indicates, that although arrow penetration would have been affected you may have still hit the kill-zone on a deer. As for the indicated flight of the arrow when shot off the "WB," especially if mounted with a "winged" broadhead, the results most likely would have been a complete miss or a badly wounded animal that may not have died, or died days later and not recovered.

Regardless of how well-tuned a "containment" rest may be, if the rest was to become slightly detuned or obstructed while in the field, or should a not-so-good release be made, is such erratic flight to be the result.

Regardless of what caused the violent flight problem, I see something that I had not previously considered. I see a potentiality of a dangerous situation. With such erratic flight, the shaft could possibly plane off course and completely miss the target. This problem would be severely compounded if the shaft was mounted with a broadhead. Therefore, I would not practice with a "containment" rest in or near a populated area and/or where there are people nearby and not behind me.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:07 AM

Although the paper is still not as good as it should be, just changing to a rest of different design appears to have drastically corrected the arrow's flight. Such extensive corrective result by just changing the rest design indicates that a "containment" rest may extremely compound a flight problem if the exit of the arrow from the bow is not clean.
C903, You are so biased it is unreal ! That is about the most rediculous statement I have ever seen you make ........given the amount of knowlege we have with this guys bow !

Your biases are clouding your judgement ! Your assuming that both rest are set up with the same exact center shot and rest height !! You know better than that.....come on !!

I'd be willing to bet they are not set exactly the same !!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

When looking at the paper tune on the GT800, I am not seeing a consistant patern. Only thing that seems somewhat consistant is that the nock point is too low. This leeds me to believe that there may be some type of form problem, or contact issue.

This time I tried paper tuning without any sucess so at the end my last solution was to switch my WB to my old QT800...and the miracle occured : perfect tear !!
I would not consider this a perfect tear.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:21 AM

CBM SC:

"........ indicates that a "containment" rest MAY extremely compound a flight problem if the exit of the arrow from the bow is not clean.

Are you willing to say that the possibility does not not exist?

I don't care what caused such an erratic flight problem. I have had improper arrow flight off convential rests, but never as bad as shown here. The question remains; can a "containment" rest compound the problem, greater than a conventional rest?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

I'd be willing to bet they are not set exactly the same !!

I agree..however, the difference is marked....

Note that it went from extreme high left to slightly low and slightly left. If he didn't move his nocking point from where it was set with the Biscuit, that indeed would have me believe the WB is entirely too sensitive as the arrows were "bouncing off" the bristles as they tailed low through it...It would have had to been set at some ridiculous angle otherwise or his nock point would have to be about an inch too high (and in that case the QT would have shown the same high tear to begin with...)

I'm neither for or against the WB, but I see some wierd poopie with those things.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would not consider this a perfect tear.
Whut?? Just because the tail is way low left it's not a perfect tear?[8D] Compared to the other tears he got with the WB, I'd say it's a vast improvement.[:-]

Quick Reply: Tuning issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.