Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

sights

Old 06-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default sights

Hey guys been looking around at your posts and I see a few using only one sight pin. Im still a newbie (havent bow hunted in years and just getting back into it). Just wondering how you shoot like that... is the bow just that fast that you can shoot out to 30 yards and still be dead on or are you aiming a little high on further shots and a little lower on closer ones? Also how do these single pin slide sights work?

thanks for the info

Vince
Old 06-18-2004, 06:21 PM

Default RE: sights

they're all slides, at least the ones i've heard talked about on here. the sight aperture is attached to a bracket that has a sliding mechanism. the sight aperture slides up and down after you loosen 1 or 2 knobs. there is also a needle on the bracket that slides with it over a flat curved piece of metal. you put tape on the metal and put a little mark where your 20 yd mark is. then slide it until the sight is right for 30 and put a mark there and so on. hard to explain - go check one out. i prefer them.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

How would a single pin slide be better then just having 3 pins? i would think that it is easier to just look at the first or second pin rather then having to turn a knob line up the needle with the mark and tighten it down before the deer moves... with my luck by the time is set it for 20 yards i will look up and the deer will be 30 yards away.
Just trying to figure out the best sights for my setup.

Thanks for the info

Vince
Old 06-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

tremelo! I also have a Impact Archery cosmic on my dually ,the faster bow's shoot much flatter than the slower bow's,but the slower bow's also have option's in this situation such as lighter arrow's .My bow for instance shoot's flat up to 30yrds without moving my pin which is almost perfect for hunting ,because MOST shot's are well within this range. If you have to adjust it usually you'll see the animal coming in and kind of get an idea on which direction it's going so that you can adjust it to that range.
Gibblet has explained it almost perfectly ,I wasn't sure whether I would like it for just that reason { Making quick adjustment's on a moment's notice } but it worked great and very rarely did I ever have to adjust it .I'm sure if you bought one it wouldn't take you long to get used to it .good luck and welcome to the best forum on the web.

nubo
Old 06-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a new PSE about a month ago and have only has time to shoot it once. I was using my brothers older pse a few years ago but i stopped bow hunting when i lost my hunting spot. Now I have some new hunting lasd that my dad bought and even though my brother said he is not going to bow hunt i figured that i better buy a new bow before he changes his mind in the last mintue and not have time to set it up.(good thing i did because he has been saying he needs to setup his bow for hunting season)

Here is what I got so far

PSE Firestorm Lite outfitter 29" 60#
Doinker 4" shorty hunter
terminator hunters 4560
100 gr. muzzy

Looking for better sights then what came with it and mybe a drop away rest.

I know that PSE isnt the best bow but the old PSE polaris i was using before got me a few deer so i figured i should stick with something i have used in the past that has worked for me. I am amazed at how much quieter the firestorm is over the polaris i used to shoot. Just about the only thing i hear now is the arrow hitting the target.

Thanks for the quick responces

Vince
Old 06-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Vince! the Firestorm is a good bow and with your set-up I would think that the one pin Impact Archery or HHA would work fine for you ,I bought mine off of e-bay for $40.00 it's a good site and the price is right ,as I said also checkout the HHA both these companies have excellent 3 pin's and single pin's and as far as I'm concerned they're the brightest in the market also not too awfully expensive. Hey I know all too well about the difference between the new bow's in comparison to the old I have a Hoyt Impala that I started with you wouldn't believe the difference ,OH YEA I guess you would haha.

John or nubo
Old 06-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vince

I thought I'd give you another perspective on the slide sights for hunting.
Although slide sights are great sights (I have an HHA myself) , I limit mine for 3d shooting only. Depending upon your set hunting yardage maximum , a slide sight can and will cost you a missed opportunity at a deer eventually unless your shooting a fast setup which allows a single setting out to 30 yards and 30 yards is your maximum hunting range.

During the rut a few years ago is when I found out the hard way that a fixed pin sight is best for hunting![>:]
I had my marks set at 20,30,40,50, on my HHA Optimizer with my maximum hunting range being 40 yards. Normally I kept it on the 20 yd mark as most of my shots were 20 and under. I had a nice buck working his way from right to left 40 yds out which was going to put him right in a clearing I had marked at 40 yards with a huge old oak tree just 5 steps before the opening which gave me the perfect opportunity to draw my bow. As he was heading towards the opening I set my sight to the 40 yd mark. Just as planned I came to full draw when he stepped behind the oak. As soon as he cleared the oak he changed directions and came directly at me.[&:] He actually stopped at about 5 yds to my left which under normal conditions would have been tenderloins for supper but at full draw with my sight set on 40 I was screwed![:@] I did manage to back down , move my pin to 20 , turn around , draw again , give a few mouth grunts only to see a texas heart shot walk away.

Just something to think about!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:32 PM

depending on your stand or blind you pretty much know the max and min distance you'll have a shot + the distance you feel comfortable with. i set my pin before i get in my stand or blind. one spot i have i set it for 30, the other 20. now, i practice from 30 with the sight set on 20 and vice versa - you with me. now, if the deer wanders out, or holds at 50 yds, with next to no movement i can set my sight to 50 yds. once you draw you'll be amazed at how much less thought goes into your shooting when you don't have to remember which pin to use while your heart is trying to escape your chest LOL. most guys i know hunt with a single pin. every once in a while, while practicing, i forget to set it and put an arrow in the dirt, but i chose the wrong pin every once in a while also. ever since i tried one i haven't looked back, not to say i won't, but hasn't happened yet.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:39 PM

dang bowfanatic, from 5 yds you could have looked down the arrow and got some dinner.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

dang bowfanatic, from 5 yds you could have looked down the arrow and got some dinner.
Twenty years ago I probably would have tried , nowadays it wouldn't even cross my mind. It did make me consider practicing instinctive shooting with my compound but I tossed that idea in favor of a fixed pin sight.

I know one guy around here who's probably grinning ear to ear after reading this thread.

Quick Reply: sights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.