Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best Glue for Feathers???

Old 06-16-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Best Glue for Feathers???

What glue are ya'll using for feathers? I am using Fletch Tite Platinum, but it does not seem to be working that well. I'm using 4" gateway feathers with the Arizona EZ Fletch.

I know it is important to have totally clean shafts. I have been using acetone to get the glue off, and then alcohol. Any other tips to make them adhere a little better?
Old 06-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Glue for Feathers???

regular super glue for feathers but just enough to make the bonding surface shiny.
works and holds better than any thing on the market

after scraping off the old glue lightly sand the shaft with 800 grit sand paper and wash with dish washing liquid and rinse with water then let dry for a few munites before re fletching.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a fan of the fletching tapes. They hold well and are easy to use. I have also had great luck with fletch tite. I have a tube of the FT platnuim but have yet to fletch any feathers with it. I seemed to be great with vanes though, just a little runny compared to regular fletch tite.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Swamp Dawg

What glue are ya'll using for feathers? I am using Fletch Tite Platinum, but it does not seem to be working that well. I'm using 4" gateway feathers with the Arizona EZ Fletch.
Really? Gosh..I love this new FT PLatinum. It's a little more runny than standard FT but the bond is extremely secure and the drying tiime is about a 1/3 less.

What brand shafts are you fletching? Carbon Express can be a real PITA with the Bufftuff coating for feathers, but I've been fletching GoldTips, A/C/Cs and even tried a couple of alums for grins with no issues at all. I stripped a couple of GoldTips yesterday to re-fletch and I was amazed at how secure the feathers were attached.

You could also try Saunders NPV, Ambroid for Carbons, and Flex-Bond...all three work great for feathers (at the same time though, FT PLat works as well as/better than any of those IME, so I have a feeling the issue is elsewhere)
Old 06-17-2004, 06:26 AM

I'm fletching up the Axis shafts. I'm relatively new to this, so I think I must be doing something else wrong, b/c I have heard others to have good success with the FT platinum. I think I will spend a little more time on shaft prep and see if that helps out any.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Swamp Dawg

I'm fletching up the Axis shafts. I'm relatively new to this, so I think I must be doing something else wrong, b/c I have heard others to have good success with the FT platinum. I think I will spend a little more time on shaft prep and see if that helps out any.
Ahhh...yup...gotta scuff up the shaft with some fine steel wool or 220 grit sandpaper...the finish coat on Easton/Beman C2 shafts is very smooth and quiet, but a Bitc$ to fletch with feathers without roughing it up a bit.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:37 AM

I had a feeling I was missing a step. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just fletched up a dozen Bemans with feather and FT Platinum....to date it's my favorite glue!