Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FOB weird fletching, anyone tried it?

Old 06-16-2004, 12:02 PM

Default FOB weird fletching, anyone tried it?

http://www.buckmasters.com/Buckmaste...rrowAccur.html

Is this a gimmick? It may be good, may not. The first problem I'd have w/o trying it is the fact that it is either ruined or the arrow is on pass throughs, or else you don't get pass throughs. The general idea seems smart, I mean besides the newer carbon/plastic materials, arrows are not drastically different from their 10,000 year old counterparts.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FOB weird fletching, anyone tried it?

looks like it is heavy and would slow down the arrow more than I would like
also poses serious contact to something on the bow.

people thought Turbonocks to be a gimmickwhen they first came out but have since been proven to work very well in both competetion and hunting applications

I cant say nay until I have tested some but I am skeptical.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:39 PM

the mechanical broadheads were viewed as gimmicky when they started, and although I don't use them, I don't doubt their effectivness, as were limbsavers, fiber optic sights, string leaches, the newer types of strings, single cams, hybrid cams, etc.!

Here is the company's website.
http://www.starrflight.com

From observation, I do not like the fact that the ring fletching goes around the arrow and I am confused if the nock goes into the FOB or into the arrow. If you glue the fletch and nock into place, there is no way you can produce a pass through shot without damaging something and losing the nock/fletch combo. If you glue the nock into place, or not, and its tight, will the FOB fit around the nock to come off? It appears that the nock has to come off too, which could easily ruin an arrow. But then again, if I bag a 400" 30 point buck, I don't care losing a $6 arrow! Here is what starrflight has to say:
"Deeper penetration. When your arrow penetrates an animal deeply, the FOB simply pops off the shaft and the arrow continues its path through the animal. Penetration is increased because there are no fletchings to hang-up in the animal, just a bare, blood lubricated, shaft that slides right on through. A side bonus is that the spot that the animal was standing when hit is clearly marked by the FOB that popped off when the arrow passed through the animal."

Theoretically, it would work with drop away rests only, (although a new version is to hit the stands for use with other styles, don't know how this can work!). The picture showing the traditional fletching with the FOB relates the size. They are about the same in a diameter sense, so contact would only happen on a drop away if it happens with traditional fletching, it appears.
http://www.starrflight.com/Pages/Broadheads.htm (3rd picture down).

You would want adequate clearance between the cables and string, as the company relates. They come in 1" and 1.25" diameters, with the larger for our type of hunting heads. They state the weights as:
"The 1.0" FOB weighs approximately (24.5) twenty-four and one half grains. The 1.25" FOB weighs approximately (38) thirty-eight grains. " If I remember correctly, a standard fletch weighs +/- 12 grains x 3 = 36 grain, not including the few grains of glue.

Summary:

I have not tried this product yet, this is a research/pre buying review. I do plan on trying this product, although they will have to be cheaper than the $2.50 a piece price tag.

Initial questions/problems I have:
* You have to plan on then coming off for a pass through, which means you can't glue in your nocks.

* You have to mark your arrows exactly or else the foc balance is off if not installed in the exact same spot. This being said, I can see them being moved very easily in the woods or in transit. They are not glued in. I'd be tempted to place just enough glue in it to keep it from moving, but not enough to prevent it from sliding off when hitting an animal. There's no difference for target shooting, as you won't make many pass throughs in a good targert.

*You have to have the fall away set up to drop REALLY quickly, be raised slightly high at at least 11/16ths, and have clearance between the cables and string. You may notice problems in anchoring your string if you use kisser bottons or something.

*How in the heck do you paper tune with these things. I don't mean bare shaft tuning, as I don't hunt that way, I mean fletch paper tuning, right tare, left tare etc.?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 PM

it would become painfully obvious if you had fletching contact now wouldn't it.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems like it would be an excellent anchor for keeping an arrow inside the animal. You'd have to have a lot of reserve energy left over after the broadhead exits the far side of the rib cage to pop that thing off.

How do you paper tune with one of those things? My guess is... YA DON'T.

I'd be interested in seeing the results of your tests, pearsonpredator.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

people thought Turbonocks to be a gimmickwhen they first came out but have since been proven to work very well in both competetion and hunting applications
You can exclude me from that generalization. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Those would be pretty rough on the ole biscuit!