Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best thumb trigger release for hunting

Old 06-16-2004, 07:08 PM

Default RE: Best thumb trigger release for hunting

I use a Carters Big Kid 3D for hunting and 3D. It's in my hand over 300 days out of the year. I don't have a problem using it.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try taking a look also at the T.R.U Ball Chappy Boss, it is thumb triggered and can also easyily be shot as backtension, you can set it to a stiff or hair trigger, it comes with 2 different thumb triggers the standard larger and a smaller thumb trigger, its not quite as bulkey or blockey in the hand as the King George even though I liked it, it didnt seem to fit my hand just right. On the Chappy Boss you can interchange the heads on it, My husband has also had good results with the Big Kid 3D.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Range-

I really like Carter releases for all my shooting types.

I use the Insatiable for hunting and the Insatiable II for target.

I like to clip my release on my d-loop and let it hang there so it's ready to go at any moment. You can get different springs for the Carter's to give them different feels to the pressure required to fire them. I prefer a heavy trigger with NO travel which allows me to "lean" on the trigger a bit and solidify my form without having a fear of a hair trigger.

The Carter's with finger holes in them don't lend themselves to hunting because they can be cumbersome to get gloved-fingers through the holes in a hurry. So stick with the open frame models like the Insatiable, BK Hunter, Target 4, etc... If you go to some local shoots I'm sure there will be lots of people using Carter's and then you can at least hold a few of them in your hand to see what fits you the best.

Like anything quality, Carter's aren't cheap. But you can find good deals on used ones occasionally on A.T. in the classifieds.