Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

any help for all my problems?

Old 06-14-2004, 03:28 PM

Default any help for all my problems?

while shooting my bow here recently, i have ran into a problem that i can not figure out. once i pull my bow back and look through my peep, i am already looking under the target. I then have to try and pull my bow back up onto the target. i also can not seem to get any higher than the lower row of dots on the bag when i try and pull my bow back up. I have tried many things such as starting high on the bag and letting the bow slowly come down to my desired spot i am shooting at, but i seem to drift under the dot once again, or release before i get to the dot. i am a right handed shooter and i have tried pushing more with my left arm and pulling more with my right but i still end up low on the bag. i know if i keep practicing it will help, but so far, nothing that i have tried seemed to work. does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: any help for all my problems?

One thing the no-peep has taught me is to listen to my body and set the no-peep to what it wants. Once I'm at full draw with my eyes closed, I let the bow settle into the spot that is tension free and totally comfortable. This is what I set my no-peep to.

I want to release every arrow from this position. If the target doesn't happen to line up to it, my choices are:

1- Raise or lower my bow arm to adjust the sight pin. This sounds like what you may be doing in your description above. Problem is, it takes you out of the position your body wants to be and knows it should be in. So, you consciously try to aim and hold the pin on target by keeping your bow arm elevated/lowered, while you're subconscious trys to put you back into the position it wants to be in. Havoc and inconsistency ensue.

2- Bend up or down from the waist. This keeps your upper body shooting platform where it wants to be, and allows you to lock in your most consistent form. Just like you need to bend from the waist when shooting from a treestand to ensure accurate sighting, you must do so from level ground as well to targets that vary up or down from our natural full draw position.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like to me that your power harness has stretched and has thrown everything out of whack.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the beginning of target panic to me.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:30 PM

Have you checked the tiller. It soulds like you have more pressure on the bottom limb that the top limb. Hold your bow straight out like you are going to shoot it and start drawing the bow. Does is start pointing up or down, down I bet. The tiller should be set to even but if it is and you are still having this problem you can back out on the bottom limb bolt ½ turn which should be enough and then tighten the bottom limb bolt 1/8 at a time until everything feel right as far as aiming goes. You will have to reset your nock and tune after this.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tiller adjustment may be needed.Do a search on tiller and look for ARTHUR P's explanation as it's the best i've seen posted on this subject.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:41 AM

The bow is fine - it is all in your head - you have target panic - you have it bad[:@][:@]

You can change stuf here and there - and think you solved it but it WILL come back unless you learn the mental aspect of the game and the infliction.

Do a search - buy a book - prepare to take many steps back - before you go forward - and good luck
Old 06-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like it is the classic symptoms of target panic.

Don't fret, it isn't terminal. But you will have to learn to deal with it.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree it does sound like target panic and there are countless hours of reading on the net on the subject and the one thing you will keep seing come up is a backtension release.Do it before it is too late.I know you may not plan on using a release like that for hunting but it is a crucial tool for a hunter and archer to LEARN proper release form.

Another thing that can cause your problems is having a draw length that is too long.Get it checked and fixed (if it is the problem) before it cause serious form issues along with bringing on the dreaded TP.

GOOD LUCK
Old 06-17-2004, 04:17 PM

thanks everyone for your ideas. i have a tru-ball ultra 3 and i tried using it to see if i could hold on the target. it wasn't as bad and was a little easier to get where i wanted. i haven't tried messing with the draw length or tiller yet but its in future plans, and i guess if there is nothing wrong there, i'll be spending most of my days in the backyard shooting

Quick Reply: any help for all my problems?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.