Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Someone explain this to me.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:44 AM

Default Someone explain this to me.

I was shooting my MM VFT yesterday with a friend, and decided to decrease my DW. SOoo- I turned back the limb bolts 1.5 turns (each). I was shooting at a 30 yd target. I figured - less poundage = lower arrow velocity = more arrow drop - right? WRONG! My arrows now consistently grouped 6" higher than before. I checked the poundage, and it had decreased by about 4 lbs. What gives??
Old 06-13-2004, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Someone explain this to me.

Did you have the limb bolts bottomed out before?
Old 06-13-2004, 07:38 AM
nub

Creeping off the wall at full poundage?
Limbs not equally backed off to begin with or at present setting?
Peep moved?
Old 06-13-2004, 08:09 AM

change in anchor pt assuming you have no peep to line up to the same each time.sights have moved,nocking pt off.go back and check everything and make sure it is set just right and that everything is good and tight including rest.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:36 AM

Did you have the limb bolts bottomed out before?
No-the bolts were 1 full turn short of being bottomed out. Everything should have been tight - all I did was back off the limb bolts (equally). I moved my sight to compensate, and I group just fine. My anchor didn't change (at least it shouldn't have). I did notice that the moleskin on my MZE claw has taken some abuse the last 40-50 shots, which tells me I have clearence issues on my rest - but it shoots a PERFECT bullet-hole through paper. Suggestions?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds to me like you got your tiller out of whack and let your nockset drift low. You wouldn't believe how screwed up your bow can be and still tune to a perfect 'bullet hole' if the tiller is whompyjawed.

That's the first thing I'd check. If tiller is not the same, top and bottom, then make it the same. Then reset your nock height and peep. If that's not it, then you'll need to look at cam timing. Do the easy stuff first though.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:07 AM

I've never checked tiller before[&o] - can someone please explain. The bow is a '04 MM VFT - 70#, 29.5" DL - Infinity cam. Thanks!!
Old 06-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Run a piece of fishing line from the top axle to the bottom axle and then measure from where the limb meets pocket to the fishing line.

measure both top and bottom.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:35 AM

OK - I was doing the above when I noticed that one of my cable strands has popped - right where it sits in the cable slide - could this be a possible culprit?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:13 AM

I ran some fishing line from the e-clip on the top axle to the e-clip on the bottom axle, pulled it tight and measured from both the front of the limb pocket and the back of the limb pocket (where the limbs meet) on both top and bottom. Top limb=21.8 cm, Bottom limb 21.9 cm (both essentially equal). Did I do this right?

Quick Reply: Someone explain this to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.